The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[security] tripwire

Discussion in 'Security' started by Radio_Head, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

2. vishal

vishal Well-Known Member

3. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

hmm, I wouldnt mind knowing as well, It seems its going to keep logs on all this stuff, which could possibly be a bad idea considering the user count on a webhosting production server. Those logs could potentially get huge and cause problems without a daily visit/deletion

4. Radio_Head

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Well, I bit the bullet and installed it. I haven't yet figured out how it works, but if and when I do I'll let you guys know.

6. NiN

NiN Active Member

Tripwire is a must-have, on every server!
    If you don't know how to use it just check redhat ref-guide

rkdet I never used ...

Regards

7. Radio_Head

uhm .. the problem is not how to use , the problem is if it could cause problems to Cpanel/WHM . Just today , Darkorb told me that they change some rpm causing wrong rpm checksum signal
    (size and md5). So what happens when tripwire found rpms with wrong checksum because modified by cpanel ?

8. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

Hi, NeutralGold,

Well, if you were not going to look at each day, you'd not be getting much of the benefit. The point of the software is that it will tell you quickly when there are changes. Some changes happen every day, such as certain log stuff. But other changes, those are the ones you want to check into.

It will give you a list of what's changed, first a summary and then a detailed list. You look them over. Everything OK? great, you run a command that updates tripwire's database so that *now* is the current state for later comparison.

Tripwire protects itself from manipulation by making these changes only with the use of a passphrase; that is, the database is encrypted.

Yes, you'll have to look each day, and yes you'll have to type your passphrase each day, but that's the very way you monitor for changes each day.

9. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

What would happen is that tripwire will tell you: "This file blahblahblah.rpm has changed".

You then look at the file and you say, oh that's the update from cpanel. No problem. (In other words, you've been advised of a change. it's a harmless change. ) You then permit the tripwire database to be updated, including this new file as the current configuration.

Not really a problem.

Assuming you've set up tripwire as a cron job, you'll be getting the tripwire email report, and also the cpanel nightly backup/update report. If you see a rpm has changed, and you're undertain, look it up on the cpanel nightly report. There it is? OK. no problem.

10. Radio_Head

Thank you , you was clear . It seems good . Of course I suppose you can exclude /home for your tripwire monitor ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.