The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeing the website without /~username/

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ddgromit, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ddgromit

ddgromit Registered

I recently ordered this hosting plan, and it all works ok except in order to get to the web files I'm hosting (under the www directory on the server) you have to enter in http://<theip>/~ddgromit/ . Is it possible to set it so that everyone can see the web files by just entering in http://<theip>/ ?

Or do I need a subdomain, or to use domain forwarding or what?

Thanks for your help, I'm kind of new to all this!

~derek

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will have to have a dedicated IP to accomplish this.

3. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

It is very likely that your hosting plan is using a shared IP, therefore it is necessary to enter the account name to access your site. Some hosts do not even offer access (or only offer access on a temporary basis) via http://<IP>/~<ACCOUNT>/. In that case, you would only be able to access your account once the domain name (or domain name change) has propogated through the DNS system.

If you have the need for a dedicated IP based account, you should talk to your host.

4. mrbaseball34

mrbaseball34 Member

Get a domain name!!!

Do you have a domain where you have set DNS info to your new host?

5. ddgromit

ddgromit Registered

Thanks I understand it a bit better now. :)

As for the domain name here is what I did: instead of having the host register it for me, I went to another site www.1and1.com and registered a domain name with them. I registered two domain names, one was a .com and the other a .net. Unfortunately since I didn't know what I was doing at first, I put forwarding on the .net, and now they won't let me disable the port forwarding (I emailed tech support and they actually said they don't allow you to disable port forwarding with that package even though when I first ordered it it did not have forwarding set up.) So the .com resolves to my IP and the .net resolves to their ip (so I'm having pop3 mail problems with the .net which I'm pretty sure are related to this).

Anyways, both domains have the nameservers set up. But my site is registered with the .net address (the one with forwarding). Is there anyway to either a) change the website to use the .com (working) address as its main domain name or b) set up the .net domain to refer to <myip>/~ddgromit/ or c) do I have no choice but to use forwarding?

Sorry if this is confusing I'm struggling just to write this :D

~derek

6. mrbaseball34

mrbaseball34 Member

I don't know what you mean by port forwarding but you should have management for both domain accounts and set DNS to both to be the same.

If not, contact the registrar and have them do it.

7. ddgromit

ddgromit Registered

Oops I meant Forwarding not Port Fowarding, like I could set my url to link to www.google.com, so even though I put in www.phyuze.net, the google page would show up. Well I enabled that and now they won't let me disable it, claiming that you can't disable forwarding with the package I bought. BS...

8. SarcNBit

Was it some kind of package where you can register an additional name at a discount for the purpose of having it point to the other name only? Maybe they offer an upgrade where you can have full rights on the other domain?

If you are the registrant, then you should be able to move you registration to a domain name host that is more open with their management. You may have to change registrars to do it.

9. mrbaseball34

mrbaseball34 Member

How do you move your domain between registrars?

10. SarcNBit

It typically involves choosing a new registrar and renewing your domain name with them.