Segfaults all over the place!

silversurfer

Dec 29, 2002
Ya. happens to 1 out of the 3 servers I upgraded, the fact that password protected directories stopped working. I already noticed that the seg faults happens when a password directory is called. My hypothesis is that whenever Apache tries to authenticate, something crashed the thread and therefore nothing gets served (and the seg fault appears in the logs) The only thing that works was downgrading apache. I happen to have a buildapache from 2 weeks ago. (bless my whatever there is!)

I held back on upgrading the rest.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Originally posted by silversurfer
Ya. happens to 1 out of the 3 servers I upgraded, the fact that password protected directories stopped working. I already noticed that the seg faults happens when a password directory is called. My hypothesis is that whenever Apache tries to authenticate, something crashed the thread and therefore nothing gets served (and the seg fault appears in the logs) The only thing that works was downgrading apache. I happen to have a buildapache from 2 weeks ago. (bless my whatever there is!)

I held back on upgrading the rest.

cool. its very rare someone keeps the old buildapache with himself ;)

best of luck

porcupine

PartnerNOC
Apr 18, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
All the servers were identical. The segfaults are ... "dirty" to have going on in a box, but not the end of the world really, it's the fact it's neutered the frontpage compatability, and the .htaccess files. In addition to that, I'm getting quite annoyed frankly opening these CPanel bug reports using their new CGI, I've yet to hear a peep back on a single one of them, for all I know (aside from the autoresponder), they're piping them into /dev/null, as this is a pretty big deal (frontpage being half broken, no .htaccess functionality, segfaults, etc. etc. etc.)

:mad:

norm

Apr 23, 2002
I don't know if it helps much, but I couldn't produce seg faults (.htaccess authentication) across 9 redhat machines, they're all configured like below:

#######
APACHE
#######

Apache Version Apache/1.3.28
Apache Release 10328100
Apache API Version 19990320

Loaded Modules mod_log_bytes, mod_bwlimited, mod_php4, mod_frontpage, mod_ssl, mod_setenvif, mod_so, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_rewrite, mod_alias, mod_userdir, mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_status, mod_negotiation, mod_mime, mod_log_config, mod_env, http_core

SERVER_SOFTWARE Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.0 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634 mod_ssl/2.8.15 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

#######
PHP
#######

Build Date Jul 21 2003 15:23:56
Configure Command './configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs' '--with-xml' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl' '--with-dom' '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--with-imap' '--with-imap-ssl' '--with-kerberos' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbstr-enc-trans' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-ming=../ming-0.2a' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--with-mysql' '--with-pear' '--enable-xslt' '--with-xslt-sablot' '--enable-safe-mode' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-versioning' '--with-zlib'

norm

Apr 23, 2002
Did you try backtracing the core dumps