Segmentation fault (core dumped) question

Jeff75

Apr 11, 2003
Whenever I run the apache configtest I get about 300 has no VirtualHost errors then it does a "Segementation fault (core dumped)". Can somebody tell me what this is and how to fix it? There are no other errors that come up besides the VirtualHost ones.

Jeff75

Apr 11, 2003
Each account on the server has it's own IP address so there's a couple hundred NameVirtualHosts.

sawbuck

Jan 18, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
AFAIK accounts with static/dynamic IPs should have VirtualHost statements.
The NameVirtualHost statement would describe the primary shared/virtual IP.

Jeff75

Apr 11, 2003
I'm pretty sure the NameVirtualHost is required for each site that uses a different IP address. I was trying to clean it up to get rid of those warnings but I accidentally deleted a few and accounts that didn't have one for it's IP address came up with errors in the configtest.

mr.wonderful

BANNED
Feb 1, 2004
sawbuck said:
VirtualHost statement for each account but not NameVirtualHost, at least on our system.
We get hundreds and hundres of core dumps in /usr/local/apache/core.????? immediately after an /scripts/easyapache update. Thats before we have to restart Apache after a full system recompile. Then we have to visit the apache directory to remove about 300 core dump files. :confused:

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Well, you only need a NameVirtualHost directive if you have more than one VirtualHost using the same IP address. If an IP address is being used by only one site, there's no need for a NameVirtualHost directive for that IP address (bascially the directive is telling apache to use name-based HTTP v1.1 for the domain of the VirtualHosts for that IP address, whereas without that directive you're using IP based HTTP v1.0). I'm surprised that having them would cause a core dump though. Have you tried clearing out all of the unnecessary NameVirtualHost directives?

If you do need a NameVirtualHost directive for an IP address, it should appear before the IP address is used in a VirtualHost directive.

Last edited: