The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Select your continent" loop with Cpanel update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisB2, Mar 8, 2006.

1. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Registered

I am getting nightly emails of the Cpanel update process from my server, however it has started to trip up due to a constant loop asking for the nearest continent to access CPAN mirrors for updates:

The process loops displaying the 1-7 selections above until the email gets to 100K in size and then it sends the message to me with subject "Mail failure - message too big", and it would appear the update process stops there.

Can someone please describe how to complete a Cpanel update without this endless loop occurring? I've tried to update via SSH command too, only the same loop occurs.

Can it not just default to something sensible if no option 1-7 is specified, rather than loop?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

2. xidica

xidica Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet you're running a version of Perl which is older than 5.8.7, and updating will fix it.

If perl -v returns version 5.8.7, then manually jumping into the CPAN shell should prompt you to configure CPAN, which is not a big deal :

Code:
    perl -MCPAN -e shell
    Configuration is pretty much straight forward from there(hit enter a bunch of times, answer continents, country, and mirrors with numbers).

If however, perl -v returns a version less than 5.8.7 :
    Code:
    cd /root (or another directory with around 120MB of free space)
    wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/perl587installer.tar.gz
    tar -xvzf perl587installer.tar.gz
    cd perl587installer/
    ./install
    After this completes(it will take some time depending on your system) :
    Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/checkperlmodules
    /scripts/upcp
    Let me know if that doesn't work for ya.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should also check that you don't have any realperinstaller processes looping on the server beforehand.

It's also a good idea to remove the /home/.cpan/ directory before upgrading the version of perl otherwise the module installation post install can get messed up.

4. ladydi711

ladydi711 Well-Known Member

Thank you Chirpy!

I have been having this problem for some time and havn't had time to fix it (although I find time to kill realperlinstaller nearly every morning).

Anyway, removing the /home/.cpan directory seemed to finally be the ticket.

Thanks again!