The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

selective backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by szinck, May 4, 2006.

1. szinck

szinck Member

Is there a configuration option to allow me specify which accounts get backed up? Ideally, I would like to be able to specify which accounts have their config files and data backed up, and which only have their config files backed up.

If this isn't an option in cpanel, does anyone have any suggestions or custom scripts for doing this?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The option is in WHM under configure backups. (of all places)

3. szinck

szinck Member

unless I'm missing, something this does not do what I want. It simply omits the entire backup of the account. I only want to backup configuration files for given accouts. I do not want to backup all their data files.

This doesn't appear to be a feature of the backup script, so I'll either have to hack it or do some post-backup hack to delete contents of tar archives. But I'm looking for suggestions/tips/hints in case anyone else has done this before.

4. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Selective backups would be helpful, the backup methods now do not support this, but I have created a feature request for it in the past. The only option available at present is to disable certain accounts from being backed up. It would be nice if you could set a backup rotation per each account as well.

5. szinck

szinck Member

Agreed. This option is important to us as we do not want to waste disk space & bandwidth backing up accounts that do not pay for it.

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Not to mention reduce server loads by breaking up account backups to
    different backup schedules instead of all account at the same time!

7. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How about instead of zipping the user's folder, making an incremental backup? We backup offsite, via FTP, and it's would be nice to only backup those files which have changed since the previous backup, and not the whole account each time.

8. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Incrementals are already available in WHM, but they also do not allow you to select certain directories and files for backup while ignoring others as selective backups would. On top of a selective option, I think most of us would like to see some type of frequency option for each account or package type as well. This way I could set accounts to be backuped up every two or three days for accounts on alternating days, i.e. accounts a-m on monday and n-z on turesday. While continuing to backup critical sites nightly. this would greatly reduce the backup time and load.

#8 mike25, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006