The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-Learning Spam Filters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EchoHost, Jan 20, 2007.

1. EchoHost

EchoHost Well-Known Member

I'm looking for an effective solution to my spam problem.

We get around 500 e-mails a day of which 490 are spam. We're looking for software that can recognize spam and learn as it goes along. My greatest concern is that legil mail would not get delivered or get put in the "spam" folder that i doubt anyone will check, so a option to say "this is spam" and "this is not spam" would be ideal.

Is mailscanner the one that comes closest to this or is there better out there?

2. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thunderbird email client.

3. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you're talking about a server solution and not a client solution, what has made a huge difference on my server is configserver's mailscanner service. The best $45 I ever spent, but they also provide instruction and tips if you want to try it yourself. Also important is chirpy's (configserver) free advice on using fail and stopping dictionary attacks.

4. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

I use and have a Postini filtering portal. Yes, it has a cost associated with it. Probably 98% effective against spam; 99.9999% effective against exploit-laden emails (I did see a zero-day virus get through the filtering one day).

Saves bandwidth, server resources, and administration time.

Although I use the mail services on my VPS, I don't want to spend server resources on filtering spam and virus on my server--I want those services available for the primary purpose of my server: webhosting.

PM me if you want more info.

5. lbeachmike

lbeachmike Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Configuring Postini

Hey Dan -

I just signed up for Postini and have not gotten it to successfully route mail through the Postini servers after changing the MX records in WHM "Edit DNS Zone"

The Postini SMTP tests report 550 failures.

Did you edit your Zone files directly? Are you aware of any quirks in setting this up properly? Seems like it should be very straightforward.

Thanks.

Mike

6. EchoHost

EchoHost Well-Known Member

How much does positni cost?

7. lbeachmike

lbeachmike Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It depends upon the pricing of the reseller you purchase from, and how many users and which version of the service you signup for.

I'm paying initially $35/month for 50 users, so .70/user but pricing drops to 0.50/user >150 users and 0.45/user >250 users.

I think you can only deal with Postini directly if you are a very large business.

mrk

#7 lbeachmike, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  8. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

From what I know, you're correct Mike: dealing direct with Postini requires some size...

BTW, that "50 users" can actually be more considering that an account can have multiple aliases, such as "webmaster@..." can be aliased to the appropriate "username@...". Domains can also be aliased as long as they're on the same server.

I have a number of aliases that point to one Postini user account. The benefit of aliasing is that the user only needs to manage one Message Center with the service.