The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-signed SSL certificates replaced by maintenance script

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason Tyde, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Jason Tyde

Jason Tyde Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Community,

I'm currently using self-signed certificates to encrypt both mail and ftp communications. They were created within cPanel and applied to the FTP, SMTP, and Dovecot mail server within the 'Manage Service SSL Certificates' function. These certificates were created matching the FQDNs I have assigned to these services, ftp.domain.com and mail.domain.com (for SMTP, IMAP, and POP).

Unfortunately the nightly maintenance script is replacing these self-signed certificates with new certificates that match the hostname of my server, <hostname>.domain.com, and reporting the following in the maintenance log:

Code:
    [2015-11-19 01:46:30 -0800]  [21848] Self Signed SSL Certificate for ftp does not match current hostname! ([ftp.domain.com] != <hostname>.domain.com).
    [2015-11-19 01:46:30 -0800]  [21848] Creating new Certificate and Key for ftp....Done
    [2015-11-19 01:46:30 -0800]  [21848] Self Signed SSL Certificate for exim does not match current hostname! ([mail.domain.com] != <hostname>.domain.com).
    [2015-11-19 01:46:31 -0800]  [21848] Creating new Certificate and Key for exim....Done
    [2015-11-19 01:46:31 -0800]  [21848] Self Signed SSL Certificate for dovecot does not match current hostname! ([mail.domain.com] != <hostname>.domain.com).
    [2015-11-19 01:46:31 -0800]  [21848] Creating new Certificate and Key for dovecot....Done

I can return to the stored certificates I want to use by using the 'Manage Service SSL Certificates' function, however I'd really like to stop the maintenance script from making these changes. (As a side note, I just learned that changing the hostname of the server also makes these certificate substitutions.)

What is the best practice for modifying the nightly maintenance script so that these self-signed certificates for (ftp|mail).domain.com are preserved?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Cheers, Jason

#1 Jason Tyde, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. Jason Tyde

Jason Tyde Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I added my vote and added some feedback.

I could use a little advice on the best mechanism to work around this issue for now. I note from Mary's feature request that a postupcp script can be used to restore the self-signed certificates to my services. Since I'm new to cPanel can someone point me in the right direction for learning more about modifying the upcp process?

4. Jason Tyde

Jason Tyde Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator