The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semantics Issue with FrontPage Extensions Script.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BHG, Apr 28, 2002.

1. BHG

BHG Registered

Hi Guys,
    Just having symantics issue with the output of the script that installs the FP Ext. Check the details below and you will see that the script puts a period on the end of the domain it would be nice to just drop the period cause some clients are mistaking the end period as part of the URL address:

Hope this can be removed to reduce the number support calls about FrontPage can get access website via the URL with the period at the end.

Thanks
    Jesus

======================================================
    Attempting to install Frontpage extenstions ......

Frontpage 5 installer loaded ok..
    Scanning httpd.conf..
    Removing .htaccess files
    Note: Local version of Apache must use the FrontPage Apache patch.
    Starting install, port: www.reclaimaustralia.net.

Creating web http://www.reclaimaustralia.net.
    Chowning Content in service /.
    Install completed.

Starting chown, port: 80, web: &/&.

DocumentRoot: &/home/reclaust/public_html&
    Setting Password

Frontpage extensions are currently:installed
    =============================================

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

That's a period on the end of that sentence I think.

3. BHG

BHG Registered

Yes I know.

The problem is that new clients do not know that and some of them actually think the period is part of the URL and use it as is to paste it into their front page software so they can access their website.
    To their amazement it doesn't work which generates a support call to me.

If this period can be removed from the FrontPage Extensions installation script it would reduce the number of back and froe trying to determine that the actual problem is a period on the end of the URL.

When asked why they put it there they say that is how it was shown on the screen when I installed the FP Ext. on my web site.

I don't think gramma and punctuation has to be followed in this instance, considering that we are talking about a URL which needs to be accurate to work. If you are not a programmer or web savy, a little period on the end of a URL makes all the difference between a pleasant experience and a major frustration for new clients.

I hope this is clearer.

Thanks
    BHG

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I see what you mean ..but for the life of me I can't see why anyone that has enough brains to access their control panel and surf the web in general can't see that they use their domain name to publish to.. no period about it. The screen is there not as directions to tell them how to use frontpage. It is there to tell them that either the extensions were installed or not installed.

I have never to this day in 6 years of hosting nearly 1000 clients in 10 countries ever seen this question in a email from anyone. But on the same subject I have seen questions about .. &I click on install FP and all I see are a bunch of &xxxxxxxxxxx's& &

5. BHG

BHG Registered

I'm with you.

I know I am with you. But I have had it happen three times so far.
    I'm just trying to stop it becoming a major support issue down the track.

If removing a period from the end of lines where the URL is the last thing stops support calls then great.

Its not just the period. Its trying to figure out their problem because the question is usually soomething like:

&My FrontPage says the server doesn't have FP Ext installed but I have installed them?&

Which now my response would be do you have a period (.) on the end of your URL.

Then the ping pong starts with no there is no period on the end of the URL but what does (.) mean SHIT. Its like talking to the pilot of the aircraft you are in and he asks you what are these buttons for, heeeelp someone give me a parachute.

BHG

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

got ya' who knows maybe some of my FP issues are that problem ??