The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Send all email by smtp

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by David Poulin, Feb 10, 2016.

1. David Poulin

David Poulin Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

In our enterprise, we use WHM\Cpanel as hosting solution(on centos) for our Wordpress website. We have a few account and multiple addon domains related to other principal account.

In the past, one of my colleague configure EXIM to send email by smtp to our IBM Domino mail server...so everything should be process by our domino server.

But for some reasons, we have discovered that for some notification mechanism in Wordpress (like gravityform notification) that use php mail() function, the mail doesn't care about exim configuration and send mail to localhost, so some of our user lost contact submission.

What i have discovered now, is that every addon domain that i added before create a mx entry and this mx entry is configurate with 'Automatically Detect Configuration' option. Every domain that have this option checked never goes to smtp transfer....until we manually change every mx entry to choose 'Remote Mail Exchanger'.

I want to understand how it's work and if it's normal behavior or if we can add some configuration to exim to be sure every email is send by smtp without any exception. Does the mechanism of routing always use internal mx entry ?

As this is my first post, i don't know what to add as information...feel free to ask more detail and i will provide it..

Thank

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. David Poulin

David Poulin Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank for you reply.

I can't disable the php mail function...as in this case i could block a tons of email for a few website....Also that could include to review all website code to be sure to convert mail function to another function....

For the account creation, i already check the remote option, but when i create addon domain, the default came back to auto detect configuration...and it's why i want to find a universal rule to be sure that email always goes to smtp...

At this time, i take a look to the dns zone template, so i can edit the mx setup to be a specific addresse so every new zone always point to our smtp mail server...it's interesting but at this time i'm not sure if it's the best solution

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The "Automatically detect which setting to use" should automatically determine if the domain name belongs in the /etc/localdomains or /etc/remotedomains file. Are you using a MX record in the zone template that points to a remote mail server?

Thank you.

5. David Poulin

David Poulin Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Every addon have a mx record...yes

If i look into the dns zone for an addon domain, i can see that someting like that :

domain.com 14100 in MX 0 domain.com.

So in what i understand is that when the server need to send a email with that domain...and the setting is to automatically detect.....it's use the locadomains or remoteddomains...or the mx entry in the dns zone of that domain....

#5 David Poulin, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, that is correct. The conditions used by "Automatically Detect Configuration" are documented at:

Edit MX Entry - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.