The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Send mail as" from gmail without keeping copy on server when forwarding the other way

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by psu, Aug 8, 2014.

1. psu

psu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

As of until recently, it was possible to set up the following:
    1) Forward apples@domain.com to oranges@gmail.com
    - - not creating any apples@domain.com on my domain, thus only forwarding without taking server capacity.

2) Set gmail default answer adress to apples@domain.com, without requiring password or an existing apples@domain.com account.

During the last few days, gmail has uppgraded their security. Now it no longer accepts to send mail from apples@domain.com from it's own servers, thus requiring the apples@domain.com to be a real email adress with a real password. It sends mail through SMTP servers by TLS or SSL (which I don't really know what is).

This creates a problem for me. Now I can no longer add a forwarder and a reply adress without keeping the e-mail on the server.

I guess it would be possible to create a filter, but filters have been unstable for me so far, not really working as intended. I am not sure whether I want to bet the full communication back and forth for my organisation on several filters that *might* work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can solve this problem?

Thank you in advance!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

A user-level filter is really the primary alternative to setting up a forwarder. Rather than setting up a forwarder, you could utilize the "User Level Filtering" option for the first email address. Setup a rule to redirect the email sent to the first address, and then have the additional rule discard the message. This ensures the message is forwarded to the second address, and email is not stored in the email account of the first address.

Thank you.

3. psu

psu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

Thank you for your answer! I will give it a try and see if it works. I will reply again if I still have any issues, after troubleshooting a bit.

4. psu

psu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I have attempted to create a filter. It appears the user neither receives or is able to send e-mail from the given mail adress. The filter is set up as account lever filtering, with the following:
    1) To contains (i also tried "equals", neither work): psykologirevy@psu.no

Actions:
    1) Redirect to email: theirsecretgmail@gmail.com
    2) Stop processing rules.

When I attempt to send an email to psykologirevyen@psu.no, they do not receive the e-mail.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. psu

psu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello!

It appears the server was blocking googles requests, creating massive errors that I could not see. The issue has been found(!) and solved at server side.

One last question: Do I need "stop processing rules" at the end of a filter, or will that only stop other filters from working?

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would simply use "Discard Message" and leave it at that if you want the message removed. There is no need to stop processing rules.

Thank you.