The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

send/receive via forwarder email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mislisa, Jan 15, 2016.

1. mislisa

mislisa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm not sure if you can help, but I currently have 4 email addresses set up under my domain (ie- john@mydomainname.com, sara@mydomainname.com...) which are set up as forwarding emails (forwarding to gmail) with no actual inbox of their own. I am able to send/receive emails from gmail as sara@mydomainname.com, which is great. My question is that i'm trying to set up a new email address to do the same.. It's been a while, so I can't remember what was done to allow the original emails to work this way. I have the new address set up as a reqular inbox right now, but having to constantly come in and manually delete the emails out of the inbox is a pain.

Any suggestions? I have little experience with this type of system, but I do have decent computer skills and have been allowed access by my web hosting company. I should be able to follow any directions given.

Help!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. mislisa

mislisa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I should mention that all mail (in or out) gets forwarded to the other addresses. it'a weird setup but it works for us. I like having the emails simply forwarded without having to risk missing one with the filters.

I've tried setting up a filter to delete all emails, but as there are so many emails coming/going many get missed and pile up.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What specific filter rule did you implement? Also, what method are you using to forward mails that your account sends out? Please provide the full details of your current filter rules.

Thank you.

5. mislisa

mislisa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    The filter rule states that if the recipient of incoming mail matches sara@mydomainname.com OR john@mydomainname.com etc. the message is to be deleted. I have also applied the rule that if the sender matches sara@mydomainname.com OR john@mydomainname.com etc. the message is to be deleted. Emails still slip through though.

I am using tampermonkey with gmail to allow outgoing emails to be auto carbon-copied to the other staff. - if Sara writes an email, John is automatically sent a copy.

In cPanel, i have it set up that mail coming to sara@mydomainname.com is forwarded to her gmail, as well as to John. John's is set up to do the same. we have 5 emails doing this.

Right now, we can use our gmail to send as sara@mydomainname.com. I have the new email set up to do the same, but it doesn't want to work when just set up as a forwarder. I really don't understand why it works for the older accounts but not for the newer.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You have to create the actual email accounts, not just a forwarder, if you want the email address to authenticate via SMTP. Custom filter rules are the only real method of ensuring the email is discarded after it's forwarded. The other option is to setup a cron job that deletes the email files from the appropriate directories.

Thank you.

7. mislisa

mislisa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It's strange that it's allowing the other 4 emails to send without having a mailbox. oh well. :)

Can you walk me through setting up a cron job to delete emails from the one mailbox? I've looked at that, but am not sure how to set that up without messing something up.

Thanks!

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you authenticating with the email account username and password, or with the cPanel username and password? The following thread should help with the cron job:

Possible to auto delete old emails after x number of days?

Thank you.

9. mislisa

mislisa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm actually not sure, and i don't really want to go poking around in my gmail setting in case i mess something up. the 4 older emails work perfectly.

That thread is very confusing for me... is there any way you can post a script for deleting emails over 2 days old from sara@mydomainname.com?? I'm not great with coding, and 3 pages of people saying that this or that doesn't work just makes it worse.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The following post shows a custom script that removes all email for an email account, and the post below shows how to configure the cron job:

Having issues getting cron job to work

There's a third-party URL here that may help you to modify the script to only delete emails over a certain age:

How to delete all files older than 3 days when "Argument list too long"?

Thank you.