v86.0.8

Geert81

Registered
Mar 2, 2020
!Super1981!
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

I have full access to my VPS (Cpanel, WHM) but, I'm not experienced.
I've been using this VPS for a couple of months now. Email sent to [email protected] is sent to [email protected] elsewhere. This works well, except now that it failed twice for yahoo (when someone using a Yahoo email sent me an email). Here is the error:

1 - [email protected] ([email protected]) <[email protected]> R=send_to_smart_host T=remote_smtp H=removed.secureserver.net [an IP address from my hosting company]: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 550 5.2.0 8QKpjcX2tPm3Q8QKpjddDP <[email protected]> sender rejected. This relay isn't allowed to send mail "From" yahoo.com

I have no idea what this error means and how I can prevent it. Because most emails have been passing fine for many months. When I look at the last couple of days I see a few similar errors from yahoo.com and aol.com

There is something I'm missing. I hope you can see what it is :)

Thank you!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
You may want to contact your provider to find out why this is occurring for your email to yahoo in this instance. It seems to be a misconfiguration on the smarthost - at least with the information I have that's what it looks like.

schm1eric

Registered
May 18, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Geert81, did you ever get this figured out? I am seeing the same thing one on of my domains -- I am trying to forward an email to another email address and if I send to it from a Yahoo email accoount, I get the "sender rejected. This relay isn't allowed to send mail "From" yahoo.com." However, if I send to this email forwarder from a Gmail account (or any of my other personal domains' emails) it appears to deliver without any issues. Thanks in advance.

Geert81

Registered
Mar 2, 2020
!Super1981!
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
No, my hosting company (godaddy) failed to help me out with this. This has not been fixed.

But I did create a workaround that works. Instead of working with a forwarder right away I created an actual inbox on my server ([email protected]). This address then forwards it to another on the server ([email protected]) and that one forwards it to my outside address. It's a useless detour but it works...

nwd

Feb 28, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the info. I will let you know if I find anything out -- I am also working with GoDaddy.
Hello, did you ever get an update from Godaddy? I recently purchased their Gen4 VPS and forced to use their Gen4 relay as well (a2nlsmtp01-02.prod.iad2.secureserver.net).

This exact problem continues and was the same as with Gen3 (relay for those was: dedrelay.secureserver.net).

For the most part, their relay/mail system does work great. And emails coming from Yahoo/AOL going to FULL email accounts on my Godaddy VPS are received just fine.
It's only when receiving an email on Godaddy VPS is a forwarder only (which the majority of my clients use, then it then acts goofy. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of the older generation still using Yahoo email.

I may have to try Geert81 workaround as mentioned as well, but that adds a crazy and unnecessary processing strain on the VPS if I have to do that for all my clients, when it should just work.

mgreis

Jan 22, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am having the exact same problem with a GoDaddy Gen4 VPS.

I don't have that many forwarders, so I thought the problem was unique to this domain or list. I didn't have any way of further troubleshooting because all I knew was that the forwarder was not working for some people. Until today -
when someone got (and sent to me) a failed delivery message. As far as I know, she had not previously received these.

Subject was: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

and the error detail, as described in this string, was:

[addressee]@gmail.com
(ultimately generated from [forwarder at]@greathallperformance.org)
host A2NLvphout-v01.shr.prod.iad2.secureserver.net [198.71.232.2]
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
550 5.2.0 Rdi9lmoD6KrsoRdi9lV5r5 <sender.email.address>@rcn.com> sender rejected. This relay isn't allowed to send mail "From" rcn.com

(Adding that to help others searching for this problem)

I have more mailing lists than forwarders, so I could also work around this by creating a listserv. That's not a really practical workaround for a server with a lot of domains, clients & forwarders, obviously. My other fallback is creating a googlegroup, but then I have to manage that and people have to use a different domain.

If anyone has any luck with GoDaddy, please let us know. I may try raising this issue with VPS support as well, but I'm not sure how much that will help.