The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending email in batches, server side

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by PDW, Jan 9, 2012.

1. PDW

PDW Well-Known Member

I read up on a lot of forum threads that were pretty old - and nothing recent so posting this question.

Is there a way now days to set the email que to not delete and reject emails after limit has been reached, OR not having a limit but still sending only so many per hour.

I have one account, where we have 3000 users and need to occasionally send a mass email to them. Problems then arrise because some email services get flooded and start rejecting.

So I would like to find a way to send lets say 400 emails per hour when the account sends. As it is now if you place a limit per hour anything over that limit the server kills

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your question is not very clear.

Why can't you adjust the emails domain per hour limit when you want to send?

How will the server know that you are sending a Legitimate Mass Mail and that it should not enforce the limit?

3. PDW

PDW Well-Known Member

Pretty clear - I want to be able to send lets say 1000 emails and I want it to liomit it by 300 per hour, and not delete, but que the remaining 700 till the hour expires then send the other 300 and so forth. I dont care if is server wide, I only run my own accounts on it and they are always going to be legitiment emails, but as we all know if lets say they all go to yahoo.com after so many emails recieved from an IP per hour they may block the server for 24 hours. I want to avoid that.

Batch sending

4. PDW

PDW Well-Known Member

In Cpanel we can limit how many emails can be sent per hour, but cannot change how it processes what it does with those email. It deletes and bounces them back.
    The issue, when we send bulk emails to services like Yahoo.com email accounts if they get over lets say 200 emails from us all of a sudden they block the server from sending them email and they block us for 24 hours.
    So basically makes our email sender not work. The emails we send out are emergency news bulletins for emergency disasters. Would prefer the emails sent by the server to not be deleted but left in que for the next hour round

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel does not normally delete those emails but bounces and should try to requeue them the next hour. I'm confused by the deletion portion, since bounced messages generally retry again. The only way the queue would be deleted would be if you have a script removing it periodically via a cron.

6. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Exim Specification - 11. Main configuration

I think what you are searching for is:

or alternatively you could also use: Exim Specification - 11. Main configuration

But what I wonder is how you are going to be able to find out how other providers like yahoo, filter out your mail? That is something quite confidential and keeps changing over time. Assuming today they receive 200 mails per hour per domain, tomorrow they may change that policy to make it 200 per hour per email id etc.

7. PDW

PDW Well-Known Member

cPanelTristan this is what I want to avoid. I set the hourly to 30 for testing, and sent an email. Need to still have it delivered but after the hourly limit is resest.

(ultimately generated from support@s1.com)
    Domain s1.com has exceeded the max emails per hour (30) allowed. Message discarded.

8. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You actually need to change this in your mailing list program :)