The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending emails doesn't work

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by D-Cre, Sep 12, 2005.

1. D-Cre

D-Cre Member

I can receive mails, but I cant send them. I tried everything on another topic but that didn't work :confused: Settings:

POP3:
    mail.d-cre.net

SMTP:
    mail.d-cre.net

Can you help me please?

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

A little more info would be useful if you expect to find a solution:

1. What OS are you runinng on the computer on which you are experiencing this issue?
    2. What mail client are you using?
    3. What (full) errors do you encounter?

Incidentally, you should be contacting your hosting provider for support with such issues as they are best placed to be able to help you.

3. D-Cre

D-Cre Member

Iam running Win XP SP2, using Outlook Express and the error is dutch, so this is the translation:

Making a connection with the server has failed. Account: ' mail.d-cre.net (2) ', server: ' mail.d-cre.net ', protocol: SMTP, poort: 25. Protected (SSL): No, Socketsfout: 10061. Foutnummer: 0x800CCC0E

4. webignition

Looks like OE can't make an SMTP connection to the relevant host, mail.d-cre.net. As incoming mail is working from the same host, this specifically means that you are unable to connect to port 25 on mail.d-cre.net.

Assuming that OE is working correctly (a big assumption, but worth sticking with for the moment), this can happen for the following reasons:

1. You have a local firewall that is causing problems
    2. Your ISP is blocking access to port 25 to anything other than their own mail servers
    3. Your hosting provider is having some techincal difficulties

I would suggest:

1. Checking that your firewall is not being silly
    2. Contact your hosting and check if they are having any problems
    3. Contact your ISP, confirm that they block access to port 25 and then change ISP.

By the way, you can check if your ISP is blocking port 25 by telnetting to the relevant mail server. From your Windows command prompt. type:

Code:
    telnet mail.d-cre.net 25
    You should get something like the following:

Code:
    220-server.d-cre.net ESMTP Exim 4.52 #1 Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:05:38 +0200
    220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
    220 and/or bulk e-mail.
    If you see anything in the telnet output that relates to your ISP and not your hosting provider, your ISP are blocking port 25.

5. D-Cre

D-Cre Member

using the command promp I cant connect to mail.d-cre.net.... So that means my ISP is blocking port 25, but yesterday everything worked fine..... I don't know what is going on.

6. webignition

If you can't telnet to mail.d-cre.net on port 25 then either your ISP is blocking or you have an issue with your local firewall.

Best to double-check by (briefly) turning off any local firewall and trying again.

In most of the cases I've seen ISPs blocking port 25, traffic is actually redirected to their mail server i.e. telnet mail.d-cre.net 25 would be the equivalent of telnet mail.yourisp.com 25.

As I said, double-check the local firewall and then contact your ISP and see what they say!

You might also want to contact your hosting provider to see if they are willing to operate SMTP on port 26 as well as port 25. They don't at present, but they might if you ask!

7. D-Cre

D-Cre Member

hmmm, the firewall on my router is blocking port 25... But i cant set it too "allow", ill have to search for the manual now :p

8. D-Cre

D-Cre Member

sorry for the double post, but my firewall allows it now.... but still not working :mad:

9. D-Cre

D-Cre Member

sorry for the triple post :eek: but it works rite now, my host helped me out, we changed the port to 26 :p