The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by petfut, Jun 8, 2005.

1. petfut

petfut Well-Known Member

I want to force username and password verification when sending mail through mail.domain.com

How can this be setup?

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

On a cPanel server Exim should, by default, be set to use SMTP authentication as you describe.

So unless you have specifically changed the Exim configuration, it should already be doing this.

What gives you the impression that this is not the case?

3. petfut

petfut Well-Known Member

Well I haven't made any changes to Exim configuration.

I think it does not need any usernames and password for sending because my Outlook sends emails even if I don't check that option 'outgoing email needs verification'

4. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Exim will authenticate you on the basis that if you first check email then send you are already signed in as you have to provide the username password combination to retrieve mail.

Thats the default settings for outlook first check then send.

5. petfut

petfut Well-Known Member

Ok, I thought that too at first.
    But I used wrong password for my email account and I was still able to send an email.

If I used the function send immediately, so then Outlook should not even check incoming emails.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if you had the wrong password for SMTP AUTH if you POPed your mail account within 30 minutes of sending your email. Exim utilises two methods for authentication for sending email as Trigger mentioned:

1. POP before SMTP - if you retrieve your email via POP3 your IP address is stored in a file for 30 minutes. If you send an email through the servers SMTP server within those 30 minutes you will be authorised to relay

2. SMTP AUTH - if you use your POP3 accounts username and password in your PC clients SMTP AUTH configuration you will be immidiately authenticated to relay on connecting to the SMTP server