The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending Mail Error

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Chriz1977, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Chriz1977

Chriz1977 Well-Known Member

Hi

My clients are getting thhis message when trying to send mail via Outlook :

Ive tried rebooting the server, etc but it wont go away. Ive had it before and after a while it goes away but I need a fix for my clients now. Can anyone help please?

Cheerz
    Chris

2. Chriz1977

Chriz1977 Well-Known Member

I have found a lot of references to this problem and advice on how to fix it :

This is all well and good but it doesnt address the issue on the server (which is where the problem must be). This is only happening on some accounts, not all. The problem seems intermittant, IE it has sorted itself out by itself on one of my other servers. There must be a cause of the problem and a way of preventing it from happening in the future. Ive seen other people on here with the same problem, does anyone know how to fix it?

Cheers

3. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

The server is preventing unauthenticated users from sending mail through it; your server's doing what it's supposed to do.

The "fix" is exactly what's needed: users are required to authenticate prior to sending email. Have clients set their Outlook or other email client to use the same settings as the incoming server. That should fix it.

Although the server returns the error, it's actually a client configuration error.

4. Zion Ahead

Zion Ahead Well-Known Member

I'm having this problem as well, but I'm using a vbulletin webmail hack. The hack itself works fine, buts the smtp authentication is messing up

Connection to mydomain.com:25....
    Rcvd: 220-server.host.com ESMTP Exim 4.63 #1 Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:30:58 -0600
    Rcvd: 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
    Rcvd: 220 and/or bulk e-mail.
    Sent: helo localhost
    Rcvd: 250 server.host.com Hello localhost [xxx.xxx.66.3]
    Sent: MAIL FROM:Forums
    Rcvd: 501 Forums: missing or malformed local part (expected word or "<")
    Sent: RCPT TO:user@recipient.com
    Rcvd: 503 sender not yet given
    Sent: DATA
    Rcvd: 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA
    Sent: QUIT
    Rcvd: 221 server.host.com closing connection
    Rcvd:

I setup pop/smtp as mydomain.com 110 for pop3, 25 for smtp and user@mydomain.com and password for login. For smtp auth type, I have "none", also tried "login".