The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sendmail & FormMail issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Bleuachdu, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bleuachdu

Bleuachdu Registered

After searching through the forums, I haven't yet found an answer. I have a client with a website that uses a FormMail (http://www.scriptarchive.com/readme/formmail.html) mail script and form. I currently host the clients website only; their email is hosted by a different company on a different box. The client is currently unable to receive mail from the FormMail script.

For the purposes of understanding this message, here are a few global variables for you:

my client's domain name: company.com
    client that needs to receive messages from FormMail: recipient@company.com
    my client's cPanel login: cpanelusername

After digging into the problem, I have found that FormMail uses sendmail to send out its messages from the form. Unfortunately it appears that sendmail is only able to send mail to local users, and the client's mail users are located on a different machine. In other words, the company's site is located on my machine at www.company.com. The companies mail user, recipient@company.com is unable to receive messages from FormMail because the user is located on a different box.

Since there are no email users set up on my server, all of the messages sent by the script are being delivered to the default domain address, cpanelusername@company.com. So, I thought I would simply change the default email address to recipient@company.com. This is not allowed as the user "recipient" does not exist on my machine.

Any and all help would be appreciated as I am stumped! :confused:

2. KMK Enterprises

KMK Enterprises Well-Known Member

Set up a forward.

Set the formmail application to email to an alias account on your client's account on your server: whatever@company.com and create a forward in cPanel to forward all mail sent to that email address to your client's email account on the other server. Be sure to test the forward first to be sure it's working.

3. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

To get the emails to be delivered remotely you will need to have the domain name removed from /etc/localdomains and entered in /etc/remotedomains that way when exim goes looking for the mailbox to deliver to it will lookup the MX record for the domain externally and deliver it to their external mail server. Default is to deliver locally to all domains in /etc/localdomains

After you do that DO NOT click on the fix mailboxes link under the Email options in WHM or it will write it back into /etc/localdomains.

4. robox

robox Registered

sendmail -t

Run sendmail -t

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Please don't dig up old threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.