The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sendmail segfaults

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by beddo, Feb 7, 2010.

1. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi there,
    I upgraded world on my FreeBSD to a current build not too long ago and have been working through a list of problems that have occurred since.
    Oddly enough, last week I started having a fresh problem that didn't occur immediately after the upgrade.

Everytime I run upcp, or upcp runs from its cron job it breaks my ability to send mail.

It seems that the binary that upcp creates as /usr/sbin/sendmail doesn't work properly and anything that uses it causes a segfault which gets logged in /var/log/messages.

So I had to come up with a workaround. I renamed sendmail to sendmail.old and dropped in a link from sendmail to /usr/sbin/exim.

Voila, it works. Then upcp runs again and it renamed the link to sendmail.prev and drops in a broken binary again.

My provider has spent a while mucking about and don't seem to have been able to get to the bottom of it. They've just come up with:

chflags schg /usr/sbin/sendmail

The theory being that the immutable bit prevents the link from being removed. In reality, upcp seems to remove the immutable bit and then goes ahead and renames the link before dropping back in a broken binary again.

I've referred it back to my provider, but its taken nearly two weeks to get this far hence my asking here. Its unusual that they take so long to do things, but there you go..