The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separate Class C Servers - Russian domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cws_support, Mar 17, 2007.

1. cws_support

cws_support Member

Hello:

We have two servers. Our Russian client requires nameservers to reside on two different Class C servers.
    On the server where the site actually resides, I set up the DNS zone normally with NS1 and NS2. containing the shared IP addresses.

On server two, no files reside. I created a dns zone with the A records containing the IP addresses of the server where the files actually reside (server 1). Something tells me this is wrong. Here is what the DNS zone looks like on server 2. Will this work? (The two IP addresses for NS3 and NS4 are the actual IP addresesses for NS1 and NS2 on Server 1)

foreign-domain.com. NS ns3.foreign-domain.com.
    foreign-domain.com. NS ns4.foreign-domain.com.
    foreign-domain.com. A 99.16.252.44 // (Same IP Address as NS1)
    foreign-domain.com. A 99.16.252.45 // (Same IP Address as NS2)
    NS3 A 99.16.252.44
    NS4 A 99.16.252.45

1.> Do I need to add ptr records or something else to make this work?
    2.> When he registers the domain, for NS3 and NS4 does he use a couple of shared IP addresses from Server 2?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's not correct. The best bet would be to use cPanel DNS clustering if you can. Otherwise you should setup a standard traditional DNS master/slave relationship. Either way, the zone files on both servers should be identical (with identical SERIAL numbers), with at least:

foreign-domain.com. NS ns3.foreign-domain.com.
    foreign-domain.com. NS ns4.foreign-domain.com.
    foreign-domain.com. A 99.16.252.44 // (pointing to the IP address where the domain is hosted)
    NS3 A 99.16.252.44
    NS4 A 99.16.252.45

3. cws_support

cws_support Member

Thank you so much

Whew! I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. Just as you replied, the client had tried to register a domain and got an error that it was impossible to get the SOA records for the nameservers on Server 2.
    Thanks, I think you saved my sanity!:)