The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separate email server?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hedbanger83, Jul 16, 2008.

1. hedbanger83

hedbanger83 Member

Hi,

Im trying to figure out if it's possible to have Cpanel hosted on one server (Along with all the websites), and then have a separate server that runs the email server (without cpanel). And then have Cpanel's interface be able to create and modify mail accounts, , autoresponders, etc on the remote email server.

Probably not, but worth a shot..

Thanks,
    Kyle

2. FreedomBI

FreedomBI Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's possible, but it would not be worth the effort required.

I had considered this for individual domains. One of the main issues is being able to get all of the user/password info. It's stored in passwd-like files, not a database, which means that real-time propagation is not possible. I imagine webmail also could be an issue. I'm sure you could change the config of the cpanel-provided squirrelmail and roundcube, but this would be overwritten if it's updated. You could run webmail locally on the mail server (or another server), but I don't believe there's any squirrelmail plugins to allow users to change a cpanel password (and you'd be stuck with the propagation delay).