The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separate Minimum cPanel tree?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, Nov 7, 2014.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2002
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Has there been any thought about possibly doing a minimum cPanel release tree? Something that focuses solely on the cPanel backend. Maybe having modulars so that you can add in cPanel exim or cPanel's EasyApache.

It just seems to me that cPanel's recent development has taken a turn to where it is trying to do everything from a system administration standpoint. And the cost comes at having flexibility to do configurations any other way. The current system seems to put a lot less focus on the command-line system and unattended systems, and instead focuses on doing everything from the WHM or cPanel GUI interfaces.

This may work fine for hosting providers that only have 1 or 2 servers. But logging into the WHM for 100+ servers is tough, and time consuming.

What would be wrong with providing just a base cPanel system, and then providing tools for system administrators to download and install Apache, Exim, etc. so that those components can be configured the way individual system administrators want. For example, I heavily modified the Exim configuration that I use a long time ago. It should just be a matter of putting the custom written exim.conf file in place on the server, but cPanel frowns upon this, instead requiring you to use the Exim Configuration editor in the WHM.

Apache and PHP are in the same boat. Admittedly I have used EasyApache to compile Apache on our servers, but I preferred the EasyApache of years ago when it was just a simple Apache compile. Adding Apache modules should be just a case of compiling those modules and adding them into the Apache configuration, it shouldn't require a full run of EasyApache to add modules. The same with PHP, it should be just a matter of compiling PHP.

I get that I'm probably in the minority here. But I just believe that there are some things that are the responsibility of the server administrator, not everything should be cPanel's responsibility. If you want to add a 3rd party Apache module, you should know how to install it, not request that it's support be added into cPanel's EasyApache system. That's why I would prefer to just have the option of having a minimum cPanel/WHM set up instead of having all of these various components tied together.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Changes in the product (e.g. a minimal version of cPanel) are handled through our feature request system. Feel free to submit this as a feature request so that other users can add feedback and vote on it:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.