The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separate out Main IP for root and shared IP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whmcpuser, Apr 11, 2012.

1. whmcpuser

whmcpuser Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

Let's say I have 2 IPs for my VPS.

In the Main >> IP Functions >> Show or Delete Current IP Addresses, whm is showing the first IP as "xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1 [Main Address] Main/shared IP for root"

Is it possible to set first IP to be used for root logins and admin purposes only, and use the second IP as a shared IP for hosting sites?

I tried to change the IP assignment in Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup to xxx.xxx.xxx.xx2, but it is still showing in Main >> IP Functions >> Show or Delete Current IP Addresses that the main/shared IP address is still "linked".

xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1 [Main Address]
    Nameserver: ns1.xxxx.com venet0:0

xxx.xxx.xxx.xx2
    Main/shared IP for root
    Nameserver: ns2.xxxx.com venet0:1

So what is the functional difference between the "[Main Address]" and the "Main/shared IP for root" address?

TIA

2. Lawrence Wright

Lawrence Wright Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can change the shared IP to any available IP, but you can also login as root under any available IP. It's really up to preference, but it doesn't make a difference what IP you assign as your shared IP. You can set it as the server's main IP or a separate IP you use for other accounts.

3. whmcpuser

whmcpuser Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks Lawrence for the answer. From the syntax "Main/shared", I assumed that it means "Main or shared", but from what I gathered, I think it really means "Main IP address for shared hosting".