The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seperate Mail Server?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Filmscape, May 3, 2004.

1. Filmscape

Filmscape Member

Hi,

Is it possible to set-up cPanel to use a seperate server for mail?

For example, lets say I was creating the domain account for www.mydomain.com. Normally cPanel will setup the SMTP and POP3 servers for this domain as mail.mydomain.com, on the same server that the domain accouint has been created.

Is it possible for cPanel to connect to a different server and set-up the SMTP and POP3 services for the domain there? I would imagine all MX records will need to point to this seperate server as well.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. wipl_piyush

wipl_piyush Well-Known Member

Hello -

In my suggestion you can do it just by pointing the MX record of the server to the other Email Server IP.

Other way is that you can change the MX record for particular accounts as well...

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just queried my DC on the exact same issue. They never replied to it though so they lost the opportunity to lease a Server to me for that purpose.

You see, having a seperate Server and manually changing the MX entries is not the problem. The problem is to somehow, have it setup to automatically input the correct MX entries and Server IPs. Otherwise, it becomes somewhat of a Support nightmare as everytime an account is Created/Terminated the changes must be done manually.

4. Filmscape

Filmscape Member

Does cPanel have the ability to manage a second server designed for email use and perform these tasks automatically?

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, you can modify the DNS templates in WHM now, so changing the MX records shouldn't be too much of an issue for new domains.

However, I cannot see how you could accomplish having the SMTP and POP3 daemons and accounts running on a different server without some serious scripting. Ideally, you want something akin to the DNS clustering.

6. wipl_piyush

wipl_piyush Well-Known Member

In my suggestion creating the "mail.domain.com" account on the second mail server with the DNS running on the Primary or first server will help you out.

Its just like a forwarding.

7. dejavu11

dejavu11 Registered

its not an issue of poiting mail.domain.com to the other server, its the issue of a person creating an e-mail account on CPanel under their username and it being created on the hosting server, not the mail server

8. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Anyone come up with thoughts on this?

9. GeekPatrolMille

GeekPatrolMille Well-Known Member

I posted a similar question with my DNS configs and it works except for the small issue which is why I posted in the first place... If this helps you, maybe you have some info that may help me too...

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=34312

-greg