The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seperate Mail server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by phin, Dec 8, 2005.

1. phin

phin Member

is it possible to setup another box to just handle mail so my webserver isnt bogged down? if so, where could i find information on this, and do i need another copy of cpanel to even do this?

2. bijo

bijo Well-Known Member

Yeah you can do that with out a cpanel server. First set up the new mailserver and check the dns record of the domains and change the MX record of the domains to the new server.

host -t MX <domainname>
    It will give your mail server records. Then delete the domain name from /etc/localdomains of the webserver and add the domain in /etc/remotedomains. If the file /etc/remotedomains doesn't exist, create it.

3. phin

phin Member

can i still use cpanel to manage it though?

4. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Only if you do have cpanel installed on that mail sever also.

#4 aby, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  5. zelf

zelf Active Member

bijo! Didn't you see my post today about this very same subject? http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=47431

This solved the problem exactly without any modification to Exim config or anything else at all.

However, is there any way to tweak cPanel to not add newly created domains to /etc/localdomains?

Sorry to step in on this thread.

By the way phin it is pretty simple to setup an email server, but to setup the controls and spam filtering controls that are available through cPanel, unless you have another out of the box solution you could be looking at a pretty serious investment in time.

Thanks to bijo. Problem Solved.