Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Serious dns issue - your help appreciated.

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by EMS, Dec 15, 2005.

1. EMS

EMS BANNED

ok heres the problem...

On one of our servers I have some customers who's domains are not showing up.

On inspecting the zone file I see this...

domain.com. root IN NS ns1.nameserver.com.
    domain.com. root IN NS ns2.nameserver.com.

Obviousley the word "root" shouldnt be there! How did it get there ?

So If I edit the zone file in WHM - this shows up an error and lets me change it - then sends the changes up to the clustered nameservers and the problem is fixed. sort of...

it now displays this...

Domain.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.nameserver.com.

Why is 86400 there now ? this is the minimum ttl setting. Should this be here ? its not on any of the other servers.

I need to search all the zone files for the word "root" and remove this. Can anyone help with that ? Do I need a script ? I have no idea how many files are affected.

Any ideas how this happened ? I will have to check all our servers to make sure this isnt a massive problem - we have 20!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

#1 EMS, Dec 15, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Without looking into your server, it is really hard to say how the word "root" got in the DNS zones.

You don't need a script, necessarily. One of the commands to use in this case is: grep in conjunction with find and replace to check on the DNS zones and report/edit the text there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EMS

EMS BANNED

Its obviousley some corruption, strange how its affected a number of zone files in the same way.

I want to find / replace in one go - I dont have time to use grep and do this manually on all 20 servers.

Can anyone comment on the ttl value being inserted ? Is this due to differences in versions of bind ?