The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious Email/Domain Glitch

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MikeHihn, Jan 25, 2004.

1. MikeHihn

MikeHihn Active Member

When transferring a domain to my server I create the new account, but the NEW domain IP has obviously not yet propogated away from the OLD server.

However, emails sent from any account on my server will go to the yet-inactive account on my server, which is a rather serious glitch anytime I get an acount which is not an entirely new domain.

Incidentally, this can also cause the "unrouteable address" errors which are reported so frequently here -- if I change the domain name within the record but keep the same username/subdirectory.

I assume my outgoing email checks first for the receiving domain on my server, which seems kinda dumb in most hosting environments -- so how do I change this?

Thanks.

2. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

What you're describing is not a glitch. It is fact how mail routing and DNS should work.

When sending mail the mail server will always look locally to see if the domain exists. If it can't be found locally then, and only then, will it look externally.

If you are moving existing domains, edit the local DNS zone for the domain on the OLD server and change the IP associated with the A record to that of the NEW servers address. That way when a local domain on the OLD server tries to send mail it will be sent to the NEW IP address.

There is also no propogation time involved for local domains so mail will start being delivered to the NEW server immediately when sent from another domain residing on the OLD server.

3. MikeHihn

MikeHihn Active Member

4. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

Hi Mike.

I didn't realise from your original post that you didn't have control over the old site/server.

If you can't edit (or have the old host edit) the DNS records for you then there are extra steps you can take. These steps need to be done a little head of time to get around the 24 - 72 hour propagation times.

But firstly, are both these servers running cPanel? If they are the account copy feature within the WHM will make light work of the actual site content copy.

In general the following works well:

1) Create the new account

This can be either a copy or new account and upload the content, configure email accounts etc.

2) Edit the DNS zone on the old and point to the new. Also set the refresh rate lower so that the changes are picked up a little quicker externally.

3) Update the name server information

Sit back at wait.

4) Remove the old account.

This method avoids the possibility that mail will end up on the old server during propagation when normally somes users will see the old and some will see the new IP address.

If the move is being done without the assistance of the previous host then what I have seen done before is to move the DNS to a third-party, move the site and then change the DNS record to suit.

I think services like ZoneEdit and MyDomain are the kinds of things to look at. Others in here will have a better idea though as I've never actually used them myself.

The way this method works is:

1) Create an account with the service

2) Setup the domain and match the DNS zone to that of your old server.

3) Re-delegate the domain name to the generic name server information for this service.

During propagation users will see exactly the same information so there is no "down-time" associated with it.

4) In the meantime you can be creating/uploading/configuring the new account.

5) Once the DNS is in place with the service you can make IP changes at will and follow on from step 2 above - with the exception that you do not need (although may want to) re-delegate the domain down the track to your own name servers.