The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious problems in the FreeBSD version of cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by X-Istencedotcom, Apr 14, 2003.

1. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

There are 2 serious problems that have to be adressed with the FreeBSD version of cPanel.

1. The FTP accounts from within cPanel is broken, see http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7955&perpage=15& for more detauls on that.

2. The SMTP problem where the SMTP server replies with "535 Incorrect authentication data"

Both problems happen on the server i admin, and the server my friends admins. Basically i would like this fixed, we have allready lost 2 customers because of this.

X-Istence

2. X-Istencedotcom

I guess this is then not serious enough to be taking serious here. Where can i submit bugs for cPanel?

#2 X-Istencedotcom, Apr 15, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2003
  3. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like your smtp server itself is configured incorrectly. The message you gave suggests that you have outgoing authentication setup, and maybe you shouldn't. If you do, then you need to make sure the e-mail client is setup to do outgoing authentication for smtp (most programs like Outlook Express do this).

As far as the first problem, I have no clue on that.

4. X-Istencedotcom

Yes, outgoing auth is on in the mail client, and its not just my server that this is happening to. I have a friend who has a FreeBSd server as well and it is also screwed.

And if exim is configged wrong, i cant imagine that. It was configured by cPanel !.

5. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

Who in their right mind wouldn't require outgoing authentication?

Who's going to leave their mail server open for anyone to send out spam messages from?

6. Tom Pyles

Tom Pyles Well-Known Member

Is this happening on all accounts? If not, it could be the users ISP. Some ISP's will not allow another smtp server to be used. AOL for one does this, Prodigy too. There are quite a few more and it is an issue that we've had before.

7. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

This can be avoided by running another copy of Exim on another port can't it?

AOL can't block you from sending e-mail using another POP3 account they can only block port 25 traffic as far as I'm aware.

Why in the world would they do something like that though is what I'm wondering.

What a bunch of totalitarian pricks... I can't believe that their users would tolerate that.

8. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

Who said anything about caring what SMTP server we use?

We do however need the SMTP servers on our servers to work.

9. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

If your server is properly configured, you don't need outgoing authentication. I run a rather large ISP in the St. Louis area, and we don't use any kind of outgoing authentication. If someone is on our network, then they should be allowed access to our mail server, considering the only way to access our network is by being a customer.

IP based access rules are much better than outgoing authentication anyways (easy to get past outgoing authentication)

10. X-Istencedotcom

This is kinda hard if we have customers from Europe, Asia, and the USA, and a large amount of IP ranges for the dialup users. Meaning it wouldnt work that way.

11. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

This isnt possible for many of us, most of us just provide hosting without dial up access... so most of us do have our servers set up properly for our needs :p

12. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

Easier than spoofing an IP#?

Anyway a non-ISP server without the ability to limit use to someone on it's dialup network (since it doesn't have a dialup network since it's a web host (or "IPP") and not an ISP) should never open outgoing e-mail relaying, this is one of the leading causes of the massive abundance of spam.

#12 rnh, Apr 17, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2003
  13. X-Istencedotcom

O, so what should we tell our clients, we are sorry, but we cant give you an outgoing SMTP since it can be used for relaying.

But that wouldnt be right, we have auth so basically they have to login to the SMTP before they can send anything. We dont have an open relay, cause that would INDEED be stupid.

14. X-Istencedotcom

Does anyone here know where exim checks if the username and pass for the auth are correct?

15. X-Istencedotcom

Still having this problem. I am gonna make sure someone from the cPanel.net staff sees this somehow.

16. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

NO, tell them that they have to be authenticated users in one way or another before they can send e-mail.

I never said to disable outgoing SMTP :)

17. X-Istencedotcom

Well, pop before SMTP doesnt work, and authorized relaying using the SMTPD auth doesnt work, so basically we are stuck with an system that wont let users or anyone use their home client to send email. Only PHP scripts are allowed. What is that all about?

This is a way we lose customers.

And the FTP problem is a bigger problem than anything else, i have setup an extra SMTP server for my clients, they can use that for now. But the FTP has to be fixed.

18. X-Istencedotcom

Could you tell me where? Since on their support page it says only for NOC people and stuff.

19. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

Yes but jrehmer was saying that a properly configured server doesn't need outgoing authorization, and I was just saying that we're not dialup ISPs we're running webservers.

Everything in Cpanel is broken, this has a lot of bugs for a $75 @ month program!

What is going on, is this place run by college kids doing experimental software or something?

Actually it can't be, college kids' software usually doesn't have this many bugs.

This sucks.

As for the FTP problem can't this be avoided by just not using the Xskin?

From the errors here described I thought that the problem only occurs when users created their own FTP account in the Xskin.

I have had no problems with the FTP accounts on mine so far, but I've created them all myself.

WHM 6.2.0
    Cpanel 6.2.0-E34
    FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE

#19 rnh, Apr 20, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2003
  20. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

No that means if you're an end user cPanel isn't the place to go.

If you have a server and you paid for a cPanel license, that's the place for you to go.

If you're a reseller of someone or a hostee of someone that has a server and paid for a cPanel license then you are not supposed to go to that form.