The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious WHM Backup bug?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganga, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Ganga

Ganga Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

I have just activated the option to back up all the accounts and the mySQL directories to the directory in /home/backup.

The job is supposed to run daily, but when it happened it has shooted to the stars all disk quotas of my customers, therefore blocking alle emails and accounts.

Is this because it's a possible serious bug or is it because of the wrong choice of dierctory (subdir of /home)?

If so, what directory would you recommend considering that my server hard drive is partitioned and theerfore I do not want to have issues of lack of space if I pointed the backup to the wrong partition?

Please kindly advise.

Thanks

2. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

in plain english it says "Setting this to /home is a VERY BAD IDEA.)"

3. Ganga

Ganga Well-Known Member

Oooops!!! I didn't notice that at all, and it's written in plain header font! :D

What directory would you recommend then considering that I have to make sure it's a directory on my biggest partition where the /home is?

In other words, teh question really is:

how can I find out from shell which directory is on what partition in Linux?

Thanks!

4. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

There is no value in backing up to /home as the main reason for needing backups is a main hard drive failure.

You really need a second drive.
    Mount it as /backup and you will find it to be a very useful tool.

Gordon

5. ShirazDindar

ShirazDindar Member

Actually there is considerable, if not equal, value in using the CP backups to restore files to older versions in cases where a site was hacked, or someone is wanting to undo something they've done. In this case, backing up to /home/backup makes total sense for the extremely-common, if not the majority of cases, where the server has just one hard drive and /home is the only mount that can actually fit the data!

For this reason, I think the message in WHM is confusing and should be clarified.

Peace,
    Shiraz

#5 ShirazDindar, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007