The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriousley anoyying problem !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EMS, May 26, 2005.

1. EMS

EMS BANNED

I moved an account onto another server which had about 10 addon domains and associated subdomains.

When it arrived, no addons or subdomains. I tried again and watched the script - at the part where t recreated the subdomains, for each one - Sorry, you have reached the maximum number of allowed subdomains.

So I try this way...

At the point where the script runs the createaccount part - as soon as the account has been created, I switch it to a package with unlimited subdomains and wait until the script gets to the subdoamin part...

Same thing happens.

So I try again, this time switching the package to one with unlimited subs- then doing an account modify - giving the account 999 subdomains. Still the problem occurs !

So I try this...

leaving the copied account on the new server without its subdomains I create a test subdomain in cpanel - it works fine. What gives !?

I then...

Move the backup file for that domain into a web accessable place on the original server then wget it into /backup on the target server.

Next step - restore the account - now that I know the subdomains limit isnt a problem and i can do it with the account already existing.

Gues what ?

To my amazement, restoring the backup file comes up with exactly the same error...

Sorry you have reached the maximum number of sallowed subdomains.

I'm very anoyyed that this is happening - Ive spent a long time trying to get this account moved across and it just wont go. The customer is very upset - he's got 10 domains that arent working and has already mentioned taking legal action against us for loss of business.

Can anyone come up with a reason why this is happening ?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

One idea might be to check that the account has sufficient disk space. If no-one else has any ideas, you should probably open a ticket with cPanel either directly or through your license provider.

3. EMS

EMS BANNED

I managed to work around this eventually by changing the limits on the account between the stages "Restoring cpanel user config file" and "Restoring Subdomains"

Luckily, this account gave me enough time to do that. I dount that will work on smaller accounts.

So the problem is something to do with "unlimited" somehow returning a value of 0 - even though the cpanel info on the left shows "unlimited". I checked this by logging in as the user and refreshing the cpanel page just after the "Restoring cpanel user config file" stage. Even if the account already exists, the restore overrides the current limits (as expected). In the case of an account copy - if the account on the other server had unlimited subdomains the chances are that they wont get created at on the new server.

I dont know what causes this but its definateley a bug and its one I've seen before. Searching the forum reveals the problem has existed for a long time and has never been fixed.

I'd like to add that this has caused me a great deal of inconvenience - not to mention our customers.

#3 EMS, May 27, 2005
    Last edited: May 27, 2005
  4. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    This post is a little old I guess, but I figured I'd contribute my $.02. For several months now none of our CPanel servers have been allowing users to create subdomains if the number of subdomains on their package is set to unlimited. We've had to modify all of the package and put a dummy number like 9999 in to work around it.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Looks like it's fixed if you pop up to EDGE (there's been an EDGE release since that BETA release):