The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Backup Configuration Issues

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by luminous, Jul 8, 2015.

1. luminous

luminous Member

So we are running the new backup version included in WHM, and want to backup to FTP only. Our server is now no longer able to contain its own backups due to size restrictions. We have massive amounts of storage on an FTP server.

So I would like to do daily backups, then a couple of bi monthly backups keeping some old versions ONLY on the FTP server.

It all works fine other than the server also tries to keep a copy of the data locally as well! How can I stop this from happening?

For clarification we want to keep 7 daily backups, and 6 bi monthly on the FTP server, and have set this up in the backup options. As stated, all the backups are stored locally as well and we run out of room.

An alternative method I tried was to just tell the server to keep 1 version so that the server does not run out of room, but then it deletes the other versions from my FTP backup server! I don't seem to be able to win, other than to do this manually which is getting rather tedious.

#1 luminous, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. Wabun

Wabun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Scroll down in the configuration page and un-tick the option: Retain backups in the default backup directory. Assuming that you have the /backup on your cPanel server and use an FTP server to store the backups else where, I have it like that and it works fine.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. luminous

luminous Member

Thank you both for your support.

I have the setup as wabun suggested, and after now knowing I was pressing the correct buttons in the correct order it still did not work. I have since opened a support ticket with cPanel and they have verified that there is an issue pruning previous backups while connected over SFTP. Three different technicians worked on my server and were unable to complete a backup correctly.

Hopefully the fix will not take long to sort out. Thank you all for your help.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. Wabun

Wabun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @luminous Just wondering about your SFTP server? What software or OS is it running with?

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

To update, internal case CPANEL-353 is open to address an issue where, when using SFTP for a backup destination, the directories on the SFTP server are not pruned after the designated time specified by the configuration. The current workaround is to manually remove the directories from the SFTP backup server. You can monitor our change logs for this case number:

cPanel - Change Logs

Thank you.