The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Backups -- Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeHihn, Mar 26, 2003.

1. MikeHihn

MikeHihn Active Member

This one might be fun. :)

I'm strongly inclined to tell my customers that site backups are their own responsibility -- and explain why they should always have and maintain a "mirror" on their hard drive anyhow.

Email is somethng else again, but I'm seeing more and more sites that do only weekly backups, which does seem to ignore email.

I suspect there are several good reasons to do site backups, but I honestly can't think of any myself.

What are folks here doing about backups?

Thanks.

2. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

just state in your tos very clearly that backups are not your responsbility and bring it up to customers if they ask.

We state that we do backups, but only for emergency system recovery, not for customers to actively revert their files

3. DSD

DSD Member

If you have a database, a backup of that can be very important, as the data in the database changes all the time. It can be very difficult to keep a mirror on your local computer unless you download it every day

4. MikeHihn

MikeHihn Active Member

I forget where the databases are -- and whether they're available via ftp. I upload/download to and from my web space automatically, overnight, using WS-FTP command line, a batch file and Windows Scheduled tasks.

On the backups in general, I'm seeing about what I expected.

Now to the right script from Fastservers, :)

Thanks.

#4 MikeHihn, Mar 26, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2003
  5. lost

lost Well-Known Member

Hard to believe, you guys tell people to do their own backups?
    You don't believe in customer service it seems.
    We need more hosting cheaps like you so I get all the business. I backup my clients every night on a different drive.
    I think that's a minimum courtesy you can extend to your clients.If you can't afford a second drive for your server, maybe you shouldn't be in this business?
    Just my 2 cents

6. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

I agree with Lost.

Backing up the customer's data should be a minimum expectation of any host. It's much eaiser for you to restore a backup from a second HD then it is for how ever many customers you put on one server to re-upload all their files. Chances of actually have to use the back up is slim, but it gives the customers a piece of mind that their data is safe.

7. zappz

zappz Well-Known Member

If your going to provide a backup solution for your customers at least do it sensibly.

Your telling your customers that you back up all their data daily. So what's the point of doing it to a second hard drive in the same box, in the same datacenter?

I agree it's better than nothing. But it's no use preaching that you look after your customers with that sort of back up policy.

If your box gets compromised, chances are your local backups are too. It's too risky to hold backups on a 2nd drive.

If you are serious about providing backups then your only option is to backup to another server at another datacenter. Not many hosts can afford to backup 60Gig+ to another server daily. Bandwidth costs would make that horrendous.

So perhaps you should rethink your policies before claiming what you do.

I do provide backups, but only to a 2nd hard-drive and my policy states that all data backups are the responsibility of the customer not of the host. Why do customers have the backup facility in cPanel if your not expecting or telling them to use it?

#7 zappz, Mar 6, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2004