greektranslator

Jun 5, 2011
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Moved from: SOLVED - Service failures after upgrading system to CentOS version 7.6

I have since changed it to disabled. I did not try to reboot (for fear of more downtime).

I still get "The system cannot check the kernel status: Cannot determine startup kernel version." in Security Advisor. The host says "to log in to your server and start the configuration of the kernel in order to boot from your kernel" which does not help me very much as I do not know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

greektranslator

Jun 5, 2011
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
OHV has used an emergency kernel automatically and every time I reboot it goes to that one. I do not know how to get it to load the yum kernel. This is the reply at the Cpanel ticket. It looks like OHV is telling me to sort it out on myself or the one responsible for the software and cpanel is telling me to sort it out myself or via the host. And I did nothing, apart from allowing Cpanel to update the server to Centos 7.6. I wonder, why a user should have to get tangled in a web like this?

You'd need to tell grub which kernel to load. You can find instructions on how to do this at CentOS / RHEL 7 : Change default kernel (boot with old kernel) – The Geek Diary . This is not something cPanel can do for you and should be addressed by your system administrator or hosting provider.

Last edited:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hi @greektranslator,

Updating the GRUB configuration is outside the scope of tasks we can perform on your behalf because it deals with the configuration of the system itself as opposed to the cPanel & WHM software. This type of task is generally something performed by a system administrator or by your provider's support team. If your provider does not offer this level of support, then you'd need to reach out to a system administrator for assistance. If you're comfortable performing the change on your own, you can review the steps noted under "Solution 2" on this post.

Thank you.

greektranslator

Jun 5, 2011
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
According to solution 2 I should do this, but this has already been done (and in my case the original value was permissive and not enforcing).

6. Edit the file with vi: eg;
#vi /etc/selinux/config

and change the line "enforcing" to "disabled"

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
According to solution 2 I should do this, but this has already been done.

6. Edit the file with vi: eg;
#vi /etc/selinux/config

and change the line "enforcing" to "disabled"
Hi @greektranslator,

That solves the issue at-hand. However, if your server is booting into the wrong kernel, then that's a separate issue you'll need to address. If you use OVH, you should be able to reference their documentation for steps on how to boot into the correct kernel. For example, for their dedicated server plans:

Starting your server on an OVH kernel

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @greektranslator,

I moved this topic into it's own thread so we can investigate it separately.

I can see it boots in network mode (and available kernels are different that the ones Cpanel was using), do I simply need to change to boot from hard disk?
You could try booting from the hard disk instead of rescue mode or network mode if you previously disabled SELinix. However, I recommend checking with OVH first to verify which mode is intended for your system.

Thank you.

greektranslator

Jun 5, 2011
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Right, I changed to hard disk and rebooted. Server does not load after 5 mins. And after about 20 mins I get this from OHV who revert it back to Netboot and close the ticket:

The intervention has been completed.
Software diagnosis
The server is on the Grub rescue.
Action:
Restarting the server in bzimage (Kernel OVH)
Result:
Boot: OK
Ping: OK
Services started; Server on login.
Recommendation:
Software configuration to be corrected by the customer.

Last edited:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hi @greektranslator,

Can you confirm if the server is now booted well and accessible via SSH? Are you now back to facing the original issue reported in this thread?

Thank you.