The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Broke After BIND Update

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dabiam, Jan 11, 2009.

1. dabiam

dabiam Registered

Has anyone experienced any problems after the BIND 9.3.4 update? The domains on my server do not resolve after an automatic yum update.

-My host resolves fine.
    -All services have been restarted.
    -WHM shows all services running.
    -Named is running.
    -Server is accessible through ssh.
    -Disabling the firewall had no effect.
    -Zone files look o.k.
    -The named.conf has a control for the rndc-key
    -There is an rndc-key

Is there anything else I should be checking?

2. t3r0

t3r0 Registered

Yes, I had a problem with that update aswell..

Named did not start at all due to error in configuration file.. After looking at logs and errors I noticed there was one zone file missing..

Well the zone file was there, but it was renamed to domain.com.db.work.EbHF4FVfIpzxb1WE

simple mv domain.com.db.work.EbHF4FVfIpzxb1WE domain.com.db and restart named did the trick in my case..

Any ideas how this can happen?

3. dabiam

dabiam Registered

CPanel rewrote the named file and excluded all of the domains being served on the host. I read that file 10-20 times. I saw the host listed but not the other domains. It never occurred to me that something was missing. Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.

Yes. The zone files were rewritten on my server also. The original files had a date and random number appended to them like: yourserver.com.db.2009-01-09.123456789

The techs at UltraHosting figured it out for me. Their free Silver Support service for dedicated servers is a great deal. Their service package upgrades must be awesome.

4. saj

saj Member

.work extension issue in zone file has been fixed

.work extension is created only when there is syntax error occurs while creating the domain. For example if we provide the name servers in reseller center for a reseller as ns1.abcdef.com. then the final dot [.] appears as an extra dot [.] in zone file and if we restart the system after that wrong zone file creation, then the complete named service will fail because of wrong syntax in zone file. In order to avoid this issue, the zone files which are created with wrong syntax should be created with .work extension and those zone files will be ignored while starting the named service. The .work extension zone file are helpful for us to find the mistake and we can fix the issue easily.