The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Cluster IP Allocation Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Diatone, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Diatone

Diatone Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am trying to add another server to the same switch, which only has one connection going in, and currently one server hooked up to it. Well, I have a full class C allocated by the NOC for that cabinet I'm in. Well.. I am trying to see, once I add a new server to the cabinet, is it possible for the two servers to share the IP allocation? If so, how would I go about setting that up? If it is possible, will one server know when the other uses an IP, so both servers can take it out of the usable IP address pool? Can someone just PLEASE try to explain to me how this works. Thanks a bunch.

2. Diatone

Someone must know how to do this right?

3. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

Not really...

When you assign IPs for CPanel to use, it goes right ahead and adds those IPs on the server. If you were to assign the same IPs on two machines, they would immediately be in conflict, even if neither was configured in CPanel with a username and domain.

Your best bet with two servers and a single /24 might be to work in opposite directions... so server one would start with 192.168.1.2, .3, .4, .5, etc, while server two would start with 192.168.1.254, 253, 252, 251, etc. At least this way it will be obvious where your unused IPs are, and you can always allocate more or less on each machine depending on usage.

- Jason

4. Diatone

Hmm. Ok, thanks!

5. Diatone

Hmm. Ok, thanks!