The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Clustering (not dns)...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by EMS, Sep 15, 2004.

1. EMS

EMS BANNED

Today I was copying 50 accounts from one server to the next and it occurred to me that this script is pretty damn good.

So I get to thinking - as there is not yet a "real time" clustering option for cpanel (im sure im not the first) that as an additional product - customers could be offered "Clustered hosting" at a greater cost but with the ability to switch over to a secondary server almost instantly, should there be a hardware failure - based on this script.

Of course, there is 3rd party software out there that can do this but from a cost point of view (and cpanel) , the multiple account copy script is very functional and of course - free.

If it could be modified to offer a nightly account copy from one server to the other - overwriting the accounts on the second server - this would allow for a really good way to "cluster" two servers together for no major cost.

The time taken to copy from one server to the next would need to be considered (three or four hours ? along with the bandwidth usage.

I was wondering what other people's opinions are on this ?

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Its a good idea in princple. The problem I see is that a site that is dong so much activity to justify the added expense is not going to be happy with a database that is up to 24 hours old.

Nick hinted to me once that true server clustering is on the to-do list, but its a version or two down the road.

3. msquall

msquall Member