The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Crash (HANG: chkservd)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by harisn, Nov 8, 2012.

1. harisn

harisn Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm not new to cPanel, but completely new to WHM and VPS.

I have a server with 2 dedicated cores and 2GB of RAM. I have a WordPres site on the server which is running perfectly fine -- even at high load times, the max server load goes up to 0.30 (2 CPUs) and my RAM consumption stays around 500MB out of 2GB, according to Service Status page in WHM.

Starting a couple of days ago, my server keeps crashing randomly and my website stops working. I have to reboot my server then. After the reboot, my website gets back to normal and I get 2-3 emails, similar to the following:

Code:
    The chkservd sub-process with pid 13371 ran for 1405 seconds. This sub-process was terminated when it exceeded the time allowed between checks, which is 300 seconds. To determine why, you can check /var/log/chkservd.log and /usr/local/cpanel/logs/tailwatchd_log.

You likely received this notification as a symptom of a larger problem. If your server is experiencing a high load, we recommend investigating the cause. If you continue to receive this notification, it is likely that your system is unable to handle demand or a misconfiguration is delaying restarts.

If you are sure that no misconfigurations exist, you should consider gradually increasing the following options in WHM's "Tweak Settings" feature: "The number of times ChkServd will allow a previous check to complete before terminating the check" and/or "The number of seconds between ChkServd service checks".
    From what I understand, my server is good enough to handle my website load but I have no idea why it keeps on crashing.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Is the Wordpress up to date, including any addon modules? Is the server locked down with proper security, good firewall, mod_security etc?

I'd start there before looking at the server itself as being the issue.

3. tank

tank Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would be curious to see what the log says for process was stuck. But I agree with infopro,