The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Crashed for no reason

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by niatech, Mar 30, 2006.

1. niatech

niatech Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Just wondering if someone could help me out. Sporatically over the last 6 months one of our servers crashed with the last message in /var/log/messages "unable to handle kernel NULL pointer...".

This just happened again 2 days ago and then again today (in the past they have never been this close). Except this time, there are no messages like the one above in /var/log/messages.

Has anyone experienced this and have an idea how I could protect against it?

Symptoms
    ------------
    - Server is pingable but doesn't respond (http, ftp, imap, ssh)

Environment
    --------------
    - Latest CPanel/WHM RELEASE
    - Fedora Core 2 (updated from fedoralegacy.org)

Thanks!!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Difficult to say. are you running the latest FedoraLegacy FC2 kernel? Just checked the site and it looks like the latest is currently kernel-2.6.10-2.3.legacy_FC2 if you're running an older one you might try upgrading. IMX, the most common reason for unexpected crashes or hangs (as in your case) is either faulty RAM or a disk on its way out. It would be a good idea to have both tested offline for errors.

3. niatech

Hmm,

I'm trying to upgrade the kernel right now on my backup box and i'm receiving "memory alloc (12 bytes) returned NULL" from yum and rpm -ivh... anyone ever see that?

4. niatech

^^^ solved this issue by rebooting the box, then yum ran properly.... going to test this kernel for a couple days and then will apply to the other problematic box.... will let you know how it works out..