The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Crashing! Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by itsjinx, Feb 19, 2007.

1. itsjinx

itsjinx Registered

I'm not sure why my server crashes almost every night while im asleep. i dont know if i have a virus or if a cron job is crashing it or if i got hacked or a spammer or what else it could be. When it crashes it is down all night until i wake up and have to reboot the server. I am wondering if cron jobs are taking up alot of the cpu or something because the server load isn't that much. here is my specs:

Server:
    Softlayer
    2 CPUS - dual core xenon 3.0mhz
    500gb hd
    2 gb DDR memory

Softare:
    WHM/Control Panel with Ipanel back admin

Sites:
    I am currently hosting 2,500 sites on the server.

The server load usually stays below 1 and is blazing fast. I just cannot figure out why it crashes when i sleep. I dont know if there is a virus or what. PHP mail is disabled so there would be no spamming(i think) crashing it. Here is my cron jobs:

17 2 * * * /scripts/upcp
    0 1 * * * /scripts/cpbackup
    */15 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue > /dev/null 2>&1
    2,58 * * * * /usr/local/bandmin/bandmin
    0 0 * * * /usr/local/bandmin/ipaddrmap
    31 5 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/cpaddons_report.pl --notify
    56 18 * * * cd /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/fantastico/scripts/ ; /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/php cron.php > /d$
    0 8 * * * /root/homedb_update.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
    0 6 * * * /scripts/exim_tidydb > /dev/null 2>&1
    */5 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dcpumon >/dev/null 2>&1

any ideas?

2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

You have to check the log files for more information. Can't help much without having a check. Anyway please see if the domlogs are too large and the stats takes much resources while processing the stats.

3. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

Another good place to check will be your CPBACLUP, is your server setup to perform backup of your sites to a remote server?

If is it, GZIP takes a whole lot of CPU Reseources if you are running backup daily on 2500 sites.

Try weekly or one alternate days to reduce the loads.

4. ExtremeIS

ExtremeIS Member

Does anyone have any further information on this? I have a cpanel server that has been crashing every night for the past 5 days. We haven't been able to locate anything indicating a software problem in logs at all.

We have replaced the psu, ram, hdd with no luck at all, it's still occuring. Perhaps I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

5. webhostfreak1

webhostfreak1 Member
    PartnerNOC

I was able to login to a box and see about 200 processes running where dcpumon was trying to spawn over and over and over again. This was on a VPS and was causing the number of processes to get exceeded.