The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server doesn't stay running for more than 5-10 minutes. Lots of clients on it. Thx!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrewXp, May 23, 2006.

1. CrewXp

CrewXp Active Member

Hey, I kinda have a big problem. Last friday our server died. Today I cold-booted it and it starts up and all. But 5-10 minutes later, it doesn't work anymore. And it's still on. I can connect via putty to it (it asks for the username). But after taht nothing. No password request or anything. And cpanel/websites dont work.. it just says connecting.

I've tried updating apache when it was up, but it never has time to finish before it happens again.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thx

It's running FreeBSD with whm and all.

Also, when I tried viewing /var/log/syslog, it gave me like "/var: write failed, filesystem is full"

When I did 'df' in ssh, it gave this:
    I'm not sure if it's space-related, but I could use as much help as I can get. Thx!

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The error message is self explanatory. You need to delete files to make room on your partitions.

3. CrewXp

CrewXp Active Member

Hey, there's LOTS of stuff in /var/tmp. Would it be okay to move it to /home. then remake tmp to create space?

I'm not sure on what to clear out, and what not to delete. Thx

And why is it filling up so fast.. On other partitions, I have tons of free space.
    But yeah. What should I delete and NOT delete? Thx so much

#3 CrewXp, May 24, 2006
    Last edited: May 24, 2006
  4. CrewXp

CrewXp Active Member

it's okay to move the /var/tmp directory, right? There's nothing that would cause the system to have an error. Right? B/C I did that and it's working fine now.

But is that just temporary? How do I increase the space usage on that? There's Gigabyes of free space in other areas.

thx