Server Error (404 Not Found) - Wordpress, Elementor

doryang

Registered
Sep 9, 2020
Uganda
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello guys,

I'm new here, and am not very well versed with cPanel, though I've been working with WordPress and the Elementor plugin for 2 years now.

I’m running into this error when I attempt to update/publish a page/post: Server Error (404 Not Found).
The error persists even on another site (same webhost) where I have no other plugins installed, and am running the default WordPress Themes.

I followed the remedies given by Elementor and have not yet found a solution, nor been helped by them.
I am thinking this could be resolved somewhere in the site's cPanel area.

In the browser's Developer sub-menu, using the Network tab, the 404 error is indicated to be tied to the admin-ajax.php file, can be seen in the image attached.

tests error screenshot.png

I kindly request some help.
What should I do?

So far, I have tried the WordPress based fixes, but none has worked.
Is this error correctable from the cPanel end? If so, what should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Handssler Lopez

Apr 30, 2019
Guatemala
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Currently the last update of elemtor 3.x has many errors and bugs and this is one of them, try uninstalling elementor and check if the error persists, additionally try the HELLO theme of elementor no 2020.

Try with the latest version 2.x of elementor and check if the error persists this is not a cPanel error but rather elementor or any other plugin that is causing this error.

additionally you have not deleted any page or similar, in wordpress the start shows posts or static page? several additional details are missing to be able to help accurately

I hope I've helped

Reactions: doryang

doryang

Registered
Sep 9, 2020
Uganda
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Currently the last update of elemtor 3.x has many errors and bugs and this is one of them, try uninstalling elementor and check if the error persists, additionally try the HELLO theme of elementor no 2020.

Try with the latest version 2.x of elementor and check if the error persists this is not a cPanel error but rather elementor or any other plugin that is causing this error.

additionally you have not deleted any page or similar, in wordpress the start shows posts or static page? several additional details are missing to be able to help accurately

I hope I've helped
Hello Lopez
Thanks for your response.
Sorry I had not comprehensively clarified what I have tried out.

I had tried rolling back the Elementor version, but the error persisted.
With your recommendation, I have also tried the Hello theme, but the error persists - (the same with default WordPress themes).
And even with other plugins disabled, the error persists.

The WordPress homepage displays a static page, but even when set to display posts, the error persists.

Which details should I give that would be helpful?
Thanks again!

doryang

Registered
Sep 9, 2020
Uganda
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Also is anything of note provided to you in the error logs at cPanel>>Metrics>>Errors
Hello Lauren,

This is the latest string of error messages
[Wed Sep 09 17:10:18.473936 2020] [core:alert] [pid 30765] [client 102.83.224.43:58620] /home/dev/public_html/tests/.htaccess: Expected </IfModule> before end of configuration, referer: (URL of page being edited)

I'm a bit green with code, so I am not exactly sure what the error is pointing to.
But I think it's something to do with the .htaccess file? Do I need to make any adjustments there? If so, what are those adjustments that need to be made?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Handssler Lopez

Apr 30, 2019
Guatemala
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello Lauren,

[Wed Sep 09 17:10:18.473936 2020] [core:alert] [pid 30765] [client 102.83.224.43:58620] /home/dev/public_html/tests/.htaccess: Expected </IfModule> before end of configuration, referer: (URL of page being edited)

I'm a bit green with code, so I am not exactly sure what the error is pointing to.
But I think it's something to do with the .htaccess file? Do I need to make any adjustments there? If so, what are those adjustments that need to be made?

Thanks again!
Try the following:
- If you have important information, make a backup.
- Completely remove the wordpress installation.
- From cPanel or FTP File Manager make sure to delete .htacces as well

Before the new installation of wordpress
- cPanel home> multiphp administrator select the most recent version for the domain or sub where you are going to work
- cPanel Home> administrator .ini do not touch anything, just access the domain or sub where you are going to work and save.

** this will generate new .htacces and user.ini files

Now try a new wordpress installation.
- Try to perform manual installation of wordpress not automated.

** Additional you did not indicate if you used the wordpress manager tool, softaculos or any other wordpress auto-installer?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello Lauren,

Thanks again!
It sounds like a misconfiguration. Can you show me what's in the .htaccess file?