Server error 404 when trying to access a domain

fearmydesign

Aug 24, 2009
Hi everyone, I have a server setup up only for emails, but now we want to use it for a website as well. I have uploaded all the files but I keep getting an error when trying to check the site before I switch the DNS on the domain from the old server. I have found answers to the 404 error but none that can help me pin point my issue;

I'm trying the following, but nothing works:
1.1.1.1/~username
1.1.1.1/username
1.1.1.1/index.php

The error:
404 Not Found
The server can not find the requested page:

Am I just missing a setting on WHM? The error says Port 80

Regards

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
In WHM left menu find Apache mod_userdir Tweak and check your settings here.

Apache's mod_userdir allows users to view their sites by entering a tilde(~) and their username as the uri on a specific host. For example http://test.cpanel.net/~fred/ will bring up the user fred's domain. The disadvantage of this feature is that any bandwidth usage used by this site will be put on the domain it is accessed under (in this case test.cpanel.net). mod_userdir protection prevents this from happening. You may however want to disable it on specific virtual hosts (generally shared ssl hosts.)

fearmydesign

Aug 24, 2009
In WHM left menu find Apache mod_userdir Tweak and check your settings here.
My god, I swear you guys are soooo helpful! I truly wish I had your knowledge level when it came to whm/cpanel so that I could give something back to the community. But just for the record, I do volunteer my web & graphic design services with two non-profit organizations, and it feels good when they tell me how I helped them solve graphic/web related problems.

Have a great day!!

Regards,

Last edited: