Server error: '550 invalid DNS MX or A/AAAA resource record

aboyz

Sep 29, 2003
Getting the following error when someone from .biz domain name try to send to me.

Server error: '550 invalid DNS MX or A/AAAA resource record

Other people sending to me no issues. Only this domain name. I checked my DNS MX on intodns.com i noticed that there was an mx issues.

MX A request returns CNAME WARNING: MX records points to a CNAME. CNAMEs are not allowed in MX records, according to RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181 10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:
mail.mydomain points to ['mydomain.com']
This can cause problems.

Can someone show me how to fix this. Is this causing the issues? Please advise on what needed to be changed in the DNS setting. and where do i go in whm or cpanel to make the changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
As the error implies, MX records cannot point to a cname. Cpanel but default creates mail.domain.com as a cname to domain.com. you can fix this by changing your mail. Record to an A record pointing to your server ip and the mx record to mail.domain.com.

Reactions: cPanelLauren

aboyz

Sep 29, 2003
As the error implies, MX records cannot point to a cname. Cpanel but default creates mail.domain.com as a cname to domain.com. you can fix this by changing your mail. Record to an A record pointing to your server ip and the mx record to mail.domain.com.
Can you show me where to change it at? in cpanel or whm? I don't want to make a mistake

than you.

Bestibrands

Registered
Apr 15, 2019
Germany
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Awesome I'm glad to see @GOT was able to help with this issue. @aboyz let us know if you run into any other issues.
Hello, I have the same issue with email addresses associated with - Removed -. I get the same error and I tried to fix it but with no result.
Can someone guide me through the process correctly? I don't want to screw up the settings and fix this issue.
Any help is appreciated!
Thank you
Florian

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @Bestibrands

I'd suggest checking it with something like intodns like the OP did in this instance. It should give you a good idea of what needs to be resolved, let us know what the error is and we can most likely get you going in the right direction.

Thanks!