The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server failed to boot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stanleytiew, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Stanleytiew

Stanleytiew Well-Known Member

I'm using WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.1-R113 and CentOS 3.7 x86_64 - WHM X v3.1.0, today I failed to login to WHM, so I ask data centre to restart the server for me. When restarting the server, it failed to boot up, below is the error mesage:

An error occurred during file system check dropping you to shell, the system will reboot when you leave the shell. Give root password for maintenance (or type control-D to continue)

Can anybody assist me how to get it boot up. I still need the data in the server and reformating will only be done if no other options. For your info before I restart the server, I still can acess the website hosted in the server, can access to cpanel but unable to access using SSH and unable to login to WHM.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Sounds like it went into runlevel 1 due to file system errors. Your best bet is probably to have a second OS disk installed and the old one mounted as a slave drive and migrate over the data using this thread:
    http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38797

The alternative, and more risky option, would be to have your NOC reboot the server and run an FSCK on the disk to see if it can repair it.

3. Stanleytiew

Thank Chirpy, due to long public holiday DC closed and I still unable to get it done, I will try tomorrow morning and hopefully it work.

4. Stanleytiew

I have two hard disk in my server, sda and sdb, sdb is a backup drive. I have formated sda and reinstall cpanel. Can anybody tell me how to mount sdb without formatting the drive. WHM do not have function to mount the drive without formatting. The moment I click on mount drive, it give a warning that drive will be formatted and all data will be lost. My data is store in sdb.

5. Stanleytiew

This is my fstab

root@ns1 [/]# cat /etc/fstab
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 2
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    LABEL=/tmp /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
    LABEL=/usr /usr ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 2
    LABEL=/var /var ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 2
    /dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Don't know if you've already sorted this out, but:

To mount a backups drive does tend to depend on which and how many partitions you have on it. You can list the physical partitions with:

fdisk -l

Presuming only one, you can mount the backup disk usually with:

mkdir /backup
    mount /dev/sdb1 /backup

The format in ftsab does depend on the filesyste. after you've mounted /backup as above, run:

mount

Which will list all the mountpoints as well as the filesystem. Presuming it is ext3, you'd add the following line to the end of /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdb1 /backup ext3 defaults 1 2

7. Stanleytiew

Thank Chirpy, I'm the one that engage your company to recover the server for me. The server now is up and working well. Thank you very much for your good job.