The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

server gets inaccessible

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bhanuprasad1981, Jan 27, 2011.

1. bhanuprasad1981

bhanuprasad1981 Well-Known Member

yes when i try to add simple ip address my server gets inaccessible , i am not sure whats going on wrong , can some one please help me

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Are you able to ping or take the server's IP in browser? If not it seems your IP is blocked in the server firewall. Try adding IP's after disabling firewall. Do remember to check out the issue with firewall and enable it later.

3. bhanuprasad1981

hello firewall is not enabled on server, i cannot ping the ip, i contacted dc they say they have rebooted server i am waiting for it to come up,

4. LinuxTechie

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Okay. Good Luck.

5. bhanuprasad1981

ok they replied me i have messed up dns using wrong netmask , but i am sure i have used same netmask past 8 months on same server. i had to reinstall system because of bad sectors on old hdd ,old hdd is still in the server .i checked /etc/ips file and i see there netmask same as of now ,they havent replied with correct info just a small warning if this happens again i will get charged for sorting issue , i am bit confused now , how can same netmask work for 8 months and doesn't work now :(, even added ips doesnt show up in cpanel ip usage option , also one more thing restarting ipaliases just disconnects server ?

6. LinuxTechie

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If any of the IP, you have added with wrong netmask will cause issues for the entire range. You simply need to add IP's through WHM, which is the safest & simplest method.

You can sync data's from old hdd to new one without any issues. Have you copied the /etc/ips and synced the accounts to the new drive? Also make sure all the IP's are there in the new drive. Without these, IP usage option will be obviously empty.

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you explain exactly how you added these IPs for future reference, since that was never mentioned exactly? They should be added as Varada stated in WHM > Add a New IP Address area for any new IPs. I don't want to assume you are adding them somewhere else, so please state how you are even adding them to clear it up for us.

8. bhanuprasad1981

yes i added ips using whm add ip option ,i cant even remove those ips because they doesn't even show up in whm , if try to add same ips again, i get message ip already added, and BOOM , server gets disconnected from www :(

9. LinuxTechie

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Are you able to see the IP's after logging into the server?

Type the command ifconfig and have a check whether your IP's are present in the server. You can remove the IP's from the file /etc/ips.

10. bhanuprasad1981

ok i have removed excess ips which were added , is it safe to edit netmask too ? because i gave wrong netmask at the time of basic cpanel setup , any more place i need to modify netmask , i see it in /etc/ips file.

11. bhanuprasad1981

one more thing i just noticed that on new installation one file regarding ips seems missing "ips.dnsmaster"

12. LinuxTechie

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can remove the entire line in /etc/ips and add the IP's again from WHM as stated before. No need to modify any other files. I don't thinks ips.dnsmaster file have significance on this issue.