The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server gets shut down because redirects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yamaharr1, Jul 23, 2010.

1. yamaharr1

yamaharr1 Well-Known Member

My Server provider has shut my server down because some users have put up some redirects to site, they didn't have the sites permission and said is copywrite infringement issue.

This has happen 3 times in a years span and my server provider has said if it happens again they will not turn the server on.

I have removed the redirect option from the Cpanel but they can just use a file. After requesting some assistance from the server provider company their response was to watch what domains are used, in my opinion that is a weak answer and they do not offer any assistance beyond this.

If I was to use that methodology then if someone registered a name something like myspace-codes they must be a spammer or a bad person. They couldn't be a person with a Myspace layout website.

So since I can not get any help from them, I turn to those who may have had the same issue.

It is imposable to check every website everyday, WHMCS has a feature that makes it easy to see the IP and if a redirect is up will show it but again this has to be done everyday and is imposable to do.

Is there anything else that can be done?

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Such things can be done either by the owner of the domain OR by hacking an account and inserting code in their website files. Disabling the cPanel Forwarder option won't do any good. Did your service provider forwarded you the exact complaint? The complaint should contain the domain name in question and you can then investigate accordingly and take the required action.

3. yamaharr1

yamaharr1 Well-Known Member

The complaint is a person purchases a domain name but doesn't place any files on it for whatever reason, instead they go into the cpanel and place a redirect to somenicewebsite.com the owner of the nice website gets mad and makes a complaint to my server provider.

My server provider tells me the domain and they say they get a complaint that the domain is phishing, but the domain is not gathering any information so it is not phishing, if a redirect is copywrite infringement then the domain is guilty of that but I am in shock they would take such a hardline especially over 3 times in a year.

I check the domains for any phishing but their are NO files it is just a simple old redirect.

It has happen 3 times in a year and the server provider is going to shut the server off for good for a 4th time.

I do not believe there is anyway to stop this other than to check every domain every day.

Wondering what others would do in this situation?