The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server got an error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by albertomario, Dec 9, 2010.

1. albertomario

albertomario Registered

I have installed CPanel Optimized3 VPS on my VPS and i get this error when is restarted.
    Code:
    /scripts/fixeverything: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: Too many levels of symbolic links
    Everytime when i try to run any command i get this.
    If the server is not restared, is not any problem....got this only when i try to restart....and everything is messed up.

2. albertomario

albertomario Registered

I solved with
    Code:
    rm /usr/bin/perl
    cp /usr/bin/perl5.8.8 perl

3. jacobt

jacobt Registered

Thank you for this, it worked for me too! cPanel services would not start because of this perl error. Apparently there is a symlink linking to another symlink somewhere in there, causing a loop.

Your fix worked for me. Just in case anyone doesn't realize where the working directory should be when you run that code, you should be in: /usr/bin/

So, just run this to be safe:

Code:
    rm /usr/bin/perl
    cp /usr/bin/perl5.8.8 /usr/bin/perl

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Please do not run an rm of perl on the machine. If the only binary that exists on your machine is /usr/bin/perl, you will have effectively wiped out perl on the machine and then be unable to install it using our installer even.

1. Never use rm on a machine without first checking if another binary copy does exist
    2. Never rm if possible, move the copy instead

The better method here is to do the following:

Code:
    ls -lah /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl
    If you see /usr/bin/perl symlinked from /usr/local/bin/perl, then it is setup properly. If you see /usr/bin/perl symlinked from somewhere else, then it isn't. Here's what it should show when it is setup right basically:

Code:
    root@vps [~]# ls -lah /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  17 Dec 25  2009 /usr/bin/perl -> /usr/local/bin/perl*
    -rwxr-xr-x  2 root root 13K Dec 25  2009 /usr/local/bin/perl*
    You should move /usr/bin/perl and then properly symlink it if it isn't showing this type of setup. Again, move the file do not remove it using this step for moving it:

Code:
    mv /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl.bak
    I cannot post the other steps as they are dependent on whether you have two copies of perl's binary (one at /usr/bin/perl and one at /usr/local/bin/perl), or whether you have /usr/bin/perl symlinked to /usr/local/bin/perl instead of the other way around. I've given steps before and had someone not check if it was two binaries or a symlink and blindly copy the steps, which is not the ideal situation to pursue unfortunately.

As such, if you aren't certain the steps, post the output for "ls -lah /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl" and then I would be happy to provide the appropriate steps for your situation.

Thanks!