The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server in accessible for 5 mins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aingaranweb, May 4, 2005.

1. aingaranweb

aingaranweb Well-Known Member

My server was inaccessible for about 5 mins. NO ssh, no browser, no ftp...Nothing else.

I look in my logs, I see this. Can someon help me decypher it?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

IN_TCP DROP = inbound connection
    SRC=67.169.47.119 = the ip address connecting
    DST=67.18.183.244 = the servers ip address being connected to
    PROTO=TCP = its a TCP connection
    SPT=2966 = they're coming from port 2966
    DPT=1025 = they're trying to connect to port 1025 which is blocked and therefore APF is blocking the IP address

3. webhostnet

webhostnet Member

(my 2cc)

Those 3 lines do not justify any downtime. As you can see, they are just 3 attempts to connect (they have the SYN mark) and they are comming at a slow rate (second packets arrives after 3 seconds, third packet after 5 seconds). So, it's not a syn-flood case :)

Due to the fact that customer name for source IP block (67.169.0.0/17) is "Comcast Cable Communications" I can speculate that packets are comming from a home user or an educational institution.

Three attempts to connect to port 1025/tcp looks to me as a vulnerability scanner (or a worm) looking for some RPC / LSASS Windows exploit. Is your OS Windows? If not, smile :cool:

The fact that you see those 3 attempts in your log means that the packets were stoped by firewall. So, no harm done.

Bottom line: for the problem you described (=no TCP communications with your server) those lines are irrelevant. They are not signs of trouble. Maybe it was a problem with your ISP, or your server's ISP, or some upstream router going nuts for 5 mins. It happens.

My 2cc? Relax a little, do the usual Tripwire/scan for rootkits/external Nessus scan/external NMAP scan (or whatever your forensic procedure is) and go grab a beer.

And buy me one too :)

4. aingaranweb

aingaranweb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reassurance.

As far as the beer goes, I'd buy you one but my gf has said I can't drink anymore. :(