The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server IP Change - Checklist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WhiteDog, Feb 12, 2010.

1. WhiteDog

WhiteDog Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2008
    My server needs an upgrade to a 1000 Mbps FD connection. My datacenter informed me that because of this change, i will receive new ip adresses. I assume they use a seperate subnet for GE connections.

As I have never changed the main IP of a cPanel server, i was wondering if there is a checklist available so i don't forget anything?

Here's my list so far:
    - Update nameservers
    - Change the IP in the "Basic cPanel/WHM Setup"
    - Check or Reset DNS Clustering
    - Change IP's assigned to the reseller accounts
    - Change IP's of the hosting accounts (if the above does not handle that).
    - Verify cPanel and Fantastico licenses (licenses are managed by my datacenter). I assume these will need to be validated again?

Anything else I need to do / might get problems with?

Many thanks!
  2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2008
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    -Wouldn't your DC guys shut down the server put it on a GE enabled location and change the IP themselves as the machine would go down if you remove the old IPs without having the new IPs up. You may reduce TTL value in DNS zones of all sites before the transfer using some script to ensure their is not much downtime for your sites after the old IP goes down because of old DNS records cached at different locations worldwide. Once new IP is running, you can increase the TTL back to where it was.
    -You can ask your DC to ensure new IP is licensed for cPanel and Fantastico before they switch you over. This would help you quickly get back up into WHM and changing accounts/reseller IPs and iron out any other minor details.