The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server keeps going down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fidividi, Apr 18, 2014.

1. fidividi

fidividi Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

One of my VPS servers is getting really annoying, and recently the past week keeps going down all the time.

I was thinking it is my clients fault for over-using the resources (they use the server for sending massive newsletters)

After telling him to control his emails sending better, the server went down again, but this time there was no interaction, and he wasn't running any campaigns.

I need help to see why the server is going down.

Looking into the /var/log/messages, I see what is here: /http://www.mydigia.com/images/ImG/calltrace.txt

uname -a:

Linux MY-SERVER-HOSTNAME 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 12 00:41:43 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

How can I see more into exactly why this is happening?

Thank you for your help.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The output you provided suggests the VPS is running out of memory. I recommend reviewing the /proc/user_beancounters file on this VPS to see if it's reaching any limits imposed from the node (you would see fail counts).

Thank you.

3. fidividi

fidividi Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your reply Michael.

But I don't have such a file.

1) I checked my other cPanel VPSes or Physical servers, they had that file, but the problematic VPS does not have that file. What to do?

2) How can I see exactly what is causing the memory outage? This issue is new, but the server has been running for more than 1 year with no problems.

Thank you.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will likely want to determine which VPS software is used on the host node and check their documentation to see where user limits are configured. As for determining the cause of the usage, the following thread might help:

Troubleshooting High Load on Linux Systems

Thank you.

5. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Michael his uname output showed he was not on a VZ based system :) so you would check for issues just like any other dedicated server Michaels link is a excellent resource to get you started